Shooting How Far?

The guys or gals flinging shots out there beyond their ability are the same individuals that only picked up their bow a few times a year and they will always be out there.
Spoke with a fella just yesterday about this. Was at a bit of a gathering that a few of my buddies were attending and got on the subject of elk hunting. Another fella overheard us and chimed in about his "success". Said his last two were well over 500 (no rangefinder) and he would basically just walk rounds up till he hit it. We had a bit of a conversation about his ignorance, don't think the message sank in. I invited him to do some shooting lessons, which I think was a bigger hit on his ego than the talk was.

There r some great posts. I assume a lot of hunters are similar and walking in with minimal or no pressure on the game is the exception to the rule which is why guys worry so much about game movement.
motors put them on alert immediately.
Relaxed game just don't behave like alerted game and I'm not sure too many ppl have watched carefree deer rest and graze.
Last year I spent 3 days trying to get the deer on my avatar around, he kept giving me the slip, old sneaky bugger, he was nearly gonna give me the slip again but I ranged him at 501yds, dialed and dropped him like a sack of rocks, but really long range stuff you set yourself up for. On a nice wind day get to a good location, glass your animal, be patient, double check stuff then make your shot. It not we scared him at a 150 and now at a 1000 he's looking back and we're gonna blast him. At least not for me.

To the OP.... Good post/questions!

It all comes down to this: One has to hope that common sense and good judgement with respect to game and the safety of others is forefront in every hunter's mind whether shooting a bbgun or a bazooka.

Personally, I don't shoot healthy game animals past 600. That is my limit! Too many MURPHY variables come into play beyond that distance for ME! I think 452 is my longest shot in 40 years of hunting. That said, I practice much further to make those <600 yard shots more of a reality than a hope. Today's understanding of ballistics and advanced equipment enables many shooters to become extremely effective out to two miles under favorable conditions. Not my cup of tea but, I **** sure
don't want them guys shooting at me from 2 or 3 miles away. 1000 yards on game to them is like a 500 yard shot for me. Everything is relative. You would hope everyone has the discipline to a self-imposed limit however it may be quantified

What concerns me (and maybe you) is the marketing hype that has created these knuckleheads who believe they are more proficient than their capability and they believe "skill" and the latest greatest bullet or load will trump any distance, situation or condition experienced with little regard for the game or safety of others, if any. Their ego and aptitude for bragging about the farthest shot on game is what drives these fools!

There will always be a few bad actors and we must do our best to avoid them or to educate them. This format facilitates both of those maxims.
Good shooting!

I "shoot" long range a lot. I'm confident in my shooting but I only "hunt" at the closest possible range. In my older age I like to use the skills I've worked hard to acquire. And really the shot is the end of the hunt. The fun is getting there and being challenged by an animal that's a lot smarter than me. My self imposed limit is 500 yards on game animals. Varmints I'll shoot at almost any distance. In the years I guided hunts I learned quick that very, very few people can shoot worth a darn past 250 yards at game No kidding. As far as estimating range (before we had cool toys) most couldn't tell the range past 200 either nor know actual ballistics past that. They show up with new boots and clothes, great rifles they've not shot a box of shells out of, usually in a caliber they can't handle. After watching them flinch at the sight in bench I hand them my 270 and get on with it.

My longest shot on a big game animal was a little over 400 yards (pronghorn antelope). I have harvested elk, whitetail, and mule deer up to 400 yards. Never missed and always needed one shot. Never had to track an animal over 100 yards. I never considered taking a longer shot because I love hunting. I shoot longer distances at home on the range and feel confident out to 600+ yards on 8" steel. However I just do not shoot that far on big game. Just my self imposed limit. That being said, I have shot varmints beyond 400 yards. I also do not condemn those who can humanely and consistently take big game at 400+ yards. To each his own! Good hunting and shooting.

I'm a competent (not perfect) shooter out to 1800 yards. My self imposed hunting range on big game animals is 450 yards with a rifle. My problem is that I have yet to train my quarry to stand perfectly still until the bullet hits my point of aim. To significantly reduce that variable I have set my own restriction. My personal motto on this subject is, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Well said!!

.....Animal movement seems to be a common issue or concern on the forum over the last couple years, I think this has become more of an issue the less experience there is on the forum because it was never an issue years ago when the knowledge was a little deeper. Seems to be going hand and hand with the theme of only real hunters get close all others are just shooters baloney!........

There seems to be more threads overly concerned with what other people are doing all the way around. I've seen some pretty creative ways to weave "ethics" into the conversation of late.

I seriously doubt there are more animals unrecovered by LRH, than in other methods of hunting. I'd certainly welcome any actual data to support this. However repeating something loudly over and over seems to be enough for some.

Long Range Hunting And Shooting is the sign over the door, you weren't tricked into being here, and can't be surprised when someone posts their experiences.

My best hunt was on a red deer in the victoria highlands bottom of Australia I was 30 if I remember right. And always shot as close as I could get to my prey
I found myself a red , and hunted this deer from daylight till nearly 16:00 hrs ,I had my .30/30 marlin with me , and no one else ,after stalking best part of about 10-12 miles
I managed to get right up behind him and said quitely to him BOO !
The look on this deers face was fantastic he didn't run off just stood there with his head turned back over his left shoulder looking at me ,I think I startled him that much he didn't know what too do , after a couple of minutes (seemed like a hour) I said thanks for the hunt buddy and started back to my 4x4 he was still standing there the last time I looked at him looking back at me . The most fantastic hunt I've ever done , I'll never forget that deer And how satisfied I felt with my achievement, wasn't what I started out to do
I was after some meat lol

There seems to be more threads overly concerned with what other people are doing all the way around. I've seen some pretty creative ways to weave "ethics" into the conversation of late.

I seriously doubt there are more animals unrecovered by LRH, than in other methods of hunting. I'd certainly welcome any actual data to support this. However repeating something loudly over and over seems to be enough for some.

Long Range Hunting And Shooting is the sign over the door, you weren't tricked into being here, and can't be surprised when someone posts their experiences.
Very accurate. Seems like all the people that won't shoot over 300-500 yards on game but 1000 yards+ on targets have latched onto this thread, though this is "longrangeHUNTING.com". There is nothing wrong with self imposed limits, if someone isn't comfortable with a farther shot that is great, noone wants a wounded animal. However, as you hinted at, it seems this is dipping it's toe into the ethics of taking game at farther distance, and some seem to be slightly looking down the nose at those that do, without outwardly admitting it.

I was reading a thread on another forum the other day reviewing the use of a specific bullet, where a man took a cow elk at exactly 1,600 yards with his .338 Lapua AI, with a perfectly placed shot just behind the shoulder. Wonder what some here would say to that?

Not calling anyone out in any way shape or form, just simple observation and curiosity. Carry on!!

I hunt in the deep woods of Louisiana where shots are <100yds most of the time. Did get one at 450yds in a power line cut with a well placed 338 EDGE shot but the deer still stumbled into the woods and it took a dog to find her. I also hunt on a lease as a guest so I have to be very careful not to shoot a trophy or future trophy animal. Being able to be sure that doe is not a button buck limits my shots to about 150yds.
I hunt SE Texas and that is true for me. Long range shooting is costly due to animals that do not drop dead move into very thick brush.

I am fairly new to this site, but have been around a while and have watched the long range industry blossom. I have hunted in open spaces and mountains, woods and badlands. In the last 30, or really 15 years, equipment and components have come a long way as has the more average shooters understanding of exterior ballistics - Physics and the limitations of projectiles of any given construction. I have read scores of posts on several sites regarding cartridges and bullets being dropped from consideration because they were possibly marginally 'elk capable' at 800 or 1000 yards. Are there really that many of y'all shooting deer and elk at 800 to 1000 yards? I am not saying there is anything wrong with the concept, this is America. What I am wondering though is with variables like wind, humidity, elevation, temperature, mirage, shooting angle, field position, etc. how many guys are actually taking shots that long and if you are, what is the success rate? It can be difficult to find sign after a 200 yard walk to point of impact, I can't imagine trying to do it as the light fades from 1k. I am intrigued. What are your parameters when you approach a hunt with the possibility of a shot like this. Spotters, rangefinders, recording for replay? How do you approach a shot like that to ensure the game comes to bag?

The best answer that I can give is = Taking a extremely long shot is
different than being able to make an extremely long shot. Being able to make a long shot is very good at normal distances. And given the confidence that will help the shooter make the right choice to shoot or not to shoot. Just Because he can, doesn't mean he has to.

Many on this site have rifles that will make long shots and the skill, but each person must decide "His" limits not the rifles limits with the conditions he has to work with. Understanding what effects the bullet and how much these effects have on the bullet is a major part, but the shooters ability to read these effects take practice and skill. Then and only then can a shooter make the decision to take the shot or pass and wait for a better chance.

In truth, most people on this site has an ability greater than there desire to make a long shot that Is marginal at best. Like many I have passed on shots that were possible under perfect condition's but the odds were just not that much in my favor with all things to deal with.

I have also passed on close shots that would have been considered a chip shot except for recovery chances. so everyone has to decide when to take the shot or pass no matter what the distance or the equipment used.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.