How far can you shoot?

typo
are the clicks repeatable? how do they ladder test?

I have a Razor HD, it is a nice scope. Up to now I have fired some 1000-1200 rounds looking trough it, and the elevation knob have been worked quite a bit i would say... If it has one fault it is the sheer size. Other than that i plain love it. One of the reasons i have it is i love to plink @ extended range - like 3-400m with a .22LR or plain as far as possible with highpower guns.

Right now the Razor HD sits on one of my Sauer 200STRs, and i have used it for plinking steel and rocks out to 1280m (~1400yds) in both 6.5x55 and .308Win. Now looking at .308 trace to that distance i just plain hilarious, it looks like mortar fire. This is not high in Colorado but next to the sea, and freezing cold, so no way the poor 155grScenar is supersonic up on that hill - but it hits, almost.

but can bring you down to earth in a big way some days
I'll second that, and loud, if neccesary. I am not very experienced at LR compared to most here i guess, but still.
I can usually bring 1. round hits and decent groups (meaning deer-vitals sized or better) out to abouts 800m over flat ground (in light conditions). But further than that here in Norway (and Good forbid i even mention the prospect of long range hunting here..) brings cross dale, often over water, up or downhill shooting - and sideways dispersion always explodes. On the last occasion, In basically still conditions (as perceived@ firing position, clouds were moving visibly), had about 1mrad of sideways groups size - but had to use 3.8mrad of windage to straddle the target - elevation was spot on from 1. round though, and dispersed ~30cm.
Another shoot, and only time i tried at more than 1350m, i played the 6.5-284 on a surface of water from about 1550m (1700yds) a 10 shot group probably was the size of decent car.

K

Last edited:
I,m interested to here the size groups forum members are getting at 2000+ yards (not a single lucky shot at a rock) the vital kill zone of a white tail is 6- 8 inches and 12- 15 inches for an elk, then remember when that big trophy walks out the conditions are never perfect??

Shooting at 2000 yards is very challenging. That's why I like it. You have to look for winds at many distances and some of them will be subtle. You have to look pretty hard to see which way weeds are bending at that distance. You also have to look at the terrain for up and down drafts. One thing it does do is make a 1000 yards look like a chip shot. It's like baseball players putting weight on their bat to practice their swing.

I'm not saying I shoot animals at 2000. I just like to shoot and pounding away at steel from 1000 yards gets boring.

My longest kills are 900 yards on a spike elk and 1150 on a coyote.

you are right about training hard at extreme distances, and then at 1k taking a shot is very easy.
learning the wind, and what therain can do is a must to master at perfection in any condition. this is whay i go out shooting rocks at almost 2k in the most extreme condition. rain, snow, windy days- foggy days.
i used the same technique back in the time when i was training for competition 50m - 22lr caliber.
training hard, pushing your limits to extreme, taking your shots from impossible position is what makes you excell on field, not bench shooting at paper.

Shooting at 2000 yards is very challenging. That's why I like it. You have to look for winds at many distances and some of them will be subtle. You have to look pretty hard to see which way weeds are bending at that distance. You also have to look at the terrain for up and down drafts. One thing it does do is make a 1000 yards look like a chip shot. It's like baseball players putting weight on their bat to practice their swing.

I'm not saying I shoot animals at 2000. I just like to shoot and pounding away at steel from 1000 yards gets boring.

My longest kills are 900 yards on a spike elk and 1150 on a coyote.

BMcKell

"You have to look pretty hard to see which way weeds are bending at that distance."

I've shot in a few areas where the situation was such that for half the distance fired....the FIRST HALF was protected by winds by canyon walls or either trees leaving the last half the distance fired the relative 'wind condition area' but generally it's the FIRST HALF OF THE DISTANCE FIRED....that remains the most important for observing conditions!

Have splashed dirt on many prairie dogs past 1500 yards over the years but have always been hindered by conditions, power, ellivation and most importantly by consistancy.......Different rounds,guns,bullets,scopes and recording results or lack there of!
Like BB said a good spotter and recording all relitive info on every shot will speed up the process a LOT!! First round hits for me have always been challenging but if I can see where the first one went=The second round was usually very close......But a prairie dog is a small target
To answer your scope question though if you can turn it up to @ least 20x, it has enough real travel to get you there and the clicks are repeatable you've got a good start! I really like my 16X and 6-24x IORs(great glass) BUT 16x is a little lite for 1500 yards and the 6-24s(just like the br NF) dont have the lift to get there without useing a 40 base and the reticle.
lightbulbGood spotter and great recordslightbulb

PS
Got a Wild range finder, make at least a fair spotter, have a 338 Edge in the works and know a couple of good rock killing places 1/2 way between usgun)

BMcKell

"You have to look pretty hard to see which way weeds are bending at that distance."

I've shot in a few areas where the situation was such that for half the distance fired....the FIRST HALF was protected by winds by canyon walls or either trees leaving the last half the distance fired the relative 'wind condition area' but generally it's the FIRST HALF OF THE DISTANCE FIRED....that remains the most important for observing conditions!

I'm glad that works for you. Keep doing it, but I look at more than just that. At 2000 yards my bullet is coming in pretty steep and can easily be blown off course the last third of its flight. You can't just choose to ignore it. Well I guess you could but I don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.