Shooting Glasses?

Do you wear eye protection

• Total voters
I am an eye doc and a shooter. I would recommend wearing shooting glasses everytime you shoot. It's not worth the risk of damaging or loosing an eye. Personally, I think the protection that prescription glasses provide is adequate but definitely not optimal. For those of you who are middle aged shooters and need bifocals for near vision, there are no lenses that can give you the best of both worlds (clear distance and near vision).
My distance vision is 20/10.

I can see the bead on a long shotgun barrel very clearly.

Where I'm running into trouble is I can't focus on the front sight of a handgun. Hand-gunning is front sight front sight front sight...

My Ophthalmologist has a set of really cool sunglasses that can be made using the polycarbonate lens, and I can have a bifocal (lower half) with a little boost on the top end. It's gonna cost me a bundle, but it's worth it to be able to shoot and wear corrective safety glasses.

I needed glasses because when I would close my left eye to shoot with my right, things would be blurry. ( Shooting metallic silhouettes with a handgun with iron sights ). The optomitrist I went to was a shooter also so he made me a pair of glasses that gave me 15-15 vision ( just use them for shooting and hunting only ) WOW what a difference. So that is how I have them made everytime I need a new perscription.
Tarey

I have glasses that are actually tri-focal's but are no lines. The last time I bought new glasses I bought a pair with over sized lenses and with a one piece saddle type bridge. When shooting prone I was always looking over the glass which really caused me problems. Same with shooting clays. Can't hit what you can't see you know. :) Anyway the once piece bridge makes the glasses ride up higher and at a different angle depending on how you adjust it. When they ground the glass they ground it a bit different and I can see very clearly through the top left hand corner of the glass. This lets me shoot prone and also shoot clays without a problem. Never could get my last pair high enough or clear enough in that spot to shoot decently till this last pair of glasses.
Where I bought my glasses I just told them what I wanted and why and they really worked hard to see that they were made this way and the little gal that did the ordering for me was not a shooter. She just figured out what I wanted and had the lenses made the way I wanted them. Only problem I have had is the nose piece is a soft plastic and in one years time I have had to replace the nose piece 3 times. They also work well as protective glasses too but I will never get glasses again that get as dark as these do. Had a bit of a problem with them being too dark to see clearly through my scope a couple times due to just plain being too dark.

BillR...
got a pic of your frames?

Any others have their fav frames for shooting with?
My sister is a head lab tech with Pearle Vision. She uses a fancy new cnc machine for making lenses. She can copy most any lens, except some of the more curved ones. Am having her do a pair of Oakleys with a transition to fairly dark for driving.
I am now into three way proggresive :( Also tied the Lasik, but no joy. My right cornea is too thin to work with. Oh well...

So if I could see what works for you folks, I could maybe narrow down the field.

Thanks, later...

I wear them whenever I can. As a former Army medic, what I told my guys is that there is a lot of things I can fix. Your eyes are not 2 of them.

Not worth the price of vision to not wear glasses.

That said...I'll post an offer for a 40% discount on glasses from a major eyewear manufacturer.

Rich

Archdlx, Pearle vision is where I bought them from. One of their standard set of frames. Just ask her about the one piece bridge and she should be able to tell you which ones I'm talking about as they only carried one set like that. It was also the largest set of frames they carried.

I dont want to be the party pooper, but I wont jump on this wagon. Its just not for me.
I am forced to enforce the bs rule on the jobsite. I will NOT wear them on my own time unless I feel the need to. Nor will I ever belong to a gunclub that mandates them. And its too bad too, because I love being involved in the community, and love to introduce people to the sport I love. Not to mention with a ranching and construction background, I feel I can bring alot to the table for volunteer work for some clubs. Common sense goes a long way, I dont need a R/O acting like HITLER.
To each thier own and I will not pass judgement on anyone doing what they feel is in the intrests of thier own safety. I expect the same in my direction. If you think you need them wear em. Im not too proud to wear them when I feel the need to, but Im not in the habbit of being forced to do something that restricts what I can do without it either. Common sense goes a long way.

Last edited:
I dont want to be the party pooper, but I wont jump on this wagon. Its just not for me.
I am forced to enforce the bs rule on the jobsite. I will NOT wear them on my own time unless I feel the need to. Nor will I ever belong to a gunclub that mandates them. And its too bad too, because I love being involved in the community, and love to introduce people to the sport I love. Not to mention with a ranching and construction background, I feel I can bring alot to the table for volunteer work for some clubs. Common sense goes a long way, I dont need a R/O acting like HITLER.
To each thier own and I will not pass judgement on anyone doing what they feel is in the intrests of thier own safety. I expect the same in my direction. If you think you need them wear em. Im not too proud to wear them when I feel the need to, but Im not in the habbit of being forced to do something that restricts what I can do without it either. Common sense goes a long way.
Dude... Chill out.

I don't like a lot of rules. I didn't like having to wear a seat belt when that law was first implemented in Texas in 1986. But, I got over it.

And, I've learned not to take these things so personally and to focus on what's important, such as having a good safe time shooting.

Granted, glasses may or may not protect you in any or all situations. And, I don't always wear mine. Frankly, when I'm on my own land, I do as I please.

Some RO's are too relaxed or not existent. Others are over the top. But, all kinds of people frequent shooting ranges and I feel safer when there's an RO enforcing a bit of safety.

If I'm offended or feel unsafe, I don't go back.

Be safe.

--richard

I recently suffered an eye injury and to say it wasn't the nicest thing happen to me is an understatement.

I truly RESPECT my eyes now!

I have always worn either sunglasses or safety glasses (that look like sunglasses) when shooting, the odd time when I'm out hunting I do not wear them. But generally wear them at the range 100% of the time - just for my own peace of mind not some 'rule'.

I would prefer to prevent an injury than try and recover from one...

Peace.:cool:

I wear oakley jawbones most of the time, lens swap is seconds away, im not religious about eye protection while hunting but try to be, however i had a 17 hmr fly apart in my face and i was wearing glasses, my face was burnt and hurt all over except my eyes and had some specs of i believe powder imbedded in my skin, if it werent for the glasses i might have lost an eye, thankfully all i lost was some permanent hearing in my left ear.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.