Hunting with Glasses

The single biggest issue that I experience when wearing glasses is positions where glare/sunlight reflects off the eyeglass lenses, effecting the visibility through the scope. I have had to remove the eyeglasses on more then one occasion when taking such a shot in both PRS and LRH.

Hunting with glasses can be a real pain, but for me it is much better than contacts. You will deal with dirty glasses, fogged up lenses, water spots, and the whole where do I put these at night thing. Having said that, get some alcohol wipes, a sturdy case for storage, and make sure they fit. That covers most every issue out there.
I don't know about you but especially in the early season when scouting my glasses are so wet I try to keep them clean but I can't clean them enough I just wonder how many things I'm missing because I can't see it's like being in a car wash and looking out the windows with the water running.

I have recently started to need glasses, with corrections for both distance and close up. I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be dangerous in the "woods" because I tend to misjudge my footing with them on. This has led to some comical and spectacular falls, but fortunately no injuries yet. I really need them, especially for seeing my scope dial.

Question: has anyone used nonstandard bifocals? As an example, having a small reading lense on one side, in an out of the way place, or bifocal lenses on the top of one or both lenses?

I will carry dime store readers for map reading, but in a crunch situation I think these wouldn't work super well.

I have been wearing progressives, trifocals, for years and have no issues on the scope or anything else though it took a short while before my eyes would automatically look through the correct portion of the lens for the desired distance. When shooting pistol I cant my head to use the correct portion of the lens for different distances as well. I imagine you just require acclimatization to your glasses. Best of luck.

Get high quality progressives. I like Crizal Varilux lenses from Lense Crafters. Wear them daily to do everything. Do not take them off switching to readers or your unaided eyes. You will acclimate to them. Going back and forth just messes your eyes (and brain) up. Don't be a mess.

I have recently started to need glasses, with corrections for both distance and close up. I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be dangerous in the "woods" because I tend to misjudge my footing with them on. This has led to some comical and spectacular falls, but fortunately no injuries yet. I really need them, especially for seeing my scope dial.

Question: has anyone used nonstandard bifocals? As an example, having a small reading lense on one side, in an out of the way place, or bifocal lenses on the top of one or both lenses?

I will carry dime store readers for map reading, but in a crunch situation I think these wouldn't work super well.
I, like you, needed optical assistance!! I chose progressive lenses for everyday wear, shooting at the range and hunting. My adjustment period to the progressive correction took several weeks to completely master, especially depth perception. My results have been very impressive, allowing me to instantly focus distance, or read the newspaper, read my turret settings with a simple glance and reposition my eye/focus with my scope and binoculars. I liked the progressives so well that I ordered a second "yellow" pair for hunting and range safety and a "third" pair as sunglasses.
My wife tried the progressive lenses but found the adjustment period too difficult to master so she reverted to standard bifocal lenses. I believe the adjustment period is worth the effort…best of luck finding what works best for you.

54yrs old now and distance started going a few years ago. Tried glasses but couldnt stand the issues of fogging up, rain, etc. got lasik and distance now good. Carry readers in my pack and use zero stop for dialing without having to pull out readers. Sucks getting older 🫤

I, like you, needed optical assistance!! I chose progressive lenses for everyday wear, shooting at the range and hunting. My adjustment period to the progressive correction took several weeks to completely master, especially depth perception. My results have been very impressive, allowing me to instantly focus distance, or read the newspaper, read my turret settings with a simple glance and reposition my eye/focus with my scope and binoculars. I liked the progressives so well that I ordered a second "yellow" pair for hunting and range safety and a "third" pair as sunglasses.
My wife tried the progressive lenses but found the adjustment period too difficult to master so she reverted to standard bifocal lenses. I believe the adjustment period is worth the effort…best of luck finding what works best for you.
I have used transition lenses since my first pair of glasses just regular bifocals ,but after having contacts I quickly realized I need sunglasses I have not had a pair for years.