Tripod recommendations glassing/shooting

Jordanv1

Looking for a new tripod for a pronghorn hunt. Any recommendations based on experience would be great.

Not looking for the most expensive one but something quality I won't have to worry about.

Let me know any thoughts!

Fiesol. 3342 is what I run. Excellent tripod for the price and weight. 3 lbs with pan base, 3.5 with ball head, sturdy. Run this for shooting and glassing and run arca rails.

Last edited:
I've used slik 733, 834, and a Sirui that is a 4 piece leg that is similar in weight to the 733 but supposed to hold more weight than both the slik models mentioned. If you're interested in the Sirui model I'll have to look when I get home... I can't remember specifically which one it was.
I've also used innorel off Amazon. I have 2 of those, one is a 6# beast (LT364C-Small Size RT90C) and the other is closer to 4# (innorel ST324CF). Both of those are super stable, but heavy for hiking with.

The Sirui va5 head is really really nice for glassing, but I've not tried to shoot off it.
I tried a cheap ball head off Amazon to shoot with and it did fine, but decided to get a RRS anvil for shooting and have been very pleased with it. The Anvil is pricey and not completely necessary though.

I've shot with all the tripods I listed, and the heavier they are, the more stable they are. So you have to figure out how much weight you want to carry. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't choose a lighter weight tripod than the 733 size to shoot off of with a 8+# rifle. Its totally doable to shoot off a lighter tripod, but the stability can be an issue - and that also depends on how far you want to shoot.
I took all of them to 525 with a couple 308s and didn't have any issues hitting a reduced C-zone plate consistently... And that was the first time I'd ever shot over 325yds.

For glassing, I really appreciate having a center post to dial in height without having to adjust the legs every time. For shooting, some people say that center post is detrimental to stability, and I think I agree to a point. Again, it comes down to a trade off of weight vs stability.

All of the tripods I listed, except the heavy innorel, I got for well under 200$. The sliks and siruis go on sale fairly often, and sometimes you can get a va5 fluid head thrown in a combo deal for cheap. Just shop around and be patient.

I have two different ones, I'd have to dig them out to see what brand the aluminum one was - it came with the Swarovski spotting scope. It's HEAVY and not something that I'd want to walk around with - I use it for range work. The other one I have is a carbon fiber Manfrotto with a lightweight ball head. I'll use that one out in the field, even next to the truck glassing because it's light and easy to grab and walk with instead of switching tripods.

A trick to make the lightweight tripods heavier is to have a lightweight cloth bag with you, fill it with rocks and hang it from a hook on the bottom of the center post. I had a "V" machined out of Delrin and I can put that on top of the head to shoot off of if needed.

I use manfrotto carbon fiber tripods. From my experience I would sacrifice a few lbs for stability even on several day backpack hunts. The MT055CXPRO4 is my go to over any of the others I've used for spotting scopes, binos and shooting. In wet and rainy conditions with mud and sand I have better luck with lever locks and never had a failure like with twist locks. Just have to be coherent when hiking in brush with lever locks. I know they make tripods very similar to the manfrotto at 1/2 the price so just using the 055 for comparison if nothing else to what you are looking at might be of help. Those are just some of the major things I've learned from the many tripods I've tried. I'll second those saying fluid heads are the way to go.

I use the BogPod death grip with aluminum legs. Carbon fiber weighs less if that's what you want. But it works well and I've never had a problem. Its rock solid and I've taken White tail out to 485 with it. Taken people who have never shot past one hundred yards at a deer and have them take deer past three hundred. Doesn't sound like much on this forum, but it was a big deal to them.