Tripod shooting rest pics

RDM416

It is cold and snowy in AR so nothing better to do than play around with my guns and handloading stuff. I was messing around with some of my shooting rests I use for hunting and decided to post some pics. Let me know what you think.

First is a setup I use for much of my western hunting. This gets me up high over grass and brush and is very stable. I took antelope at over 900 and 800 yards last year using this setup.

I almost always carry my spotting scope and tripod, so I already have the tripod with me. I just pop the scope off and the homemade rest on. The stool became a new addition to my setup this year and is great. It folds up and fits in my pack and is great for those extended glassing sessions. This same setup can be done without the stool by lowering the tripod, spreading the rear bipod legs more and sitting on the ground.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

These next two pics are a similar setup but prone. The tripod is spread out to get much lower and the short bipod is used. Both setups use the Stoney Point bipod that just pops on and off with just a small attachement on the rifle stock.

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Send some pics of how you set up for long range shots.

I prefer the Harris bipod, but that's not always feasible for the reasons you stated.

So, I got a Stoney Point with TagAlong at the end of the season to use as seen on BOTW. (actually for my son to use)

It has potential, but it's a lot more difficult to get situated than it would seem. Perhaps it will prove to be productive with practice.

Come to think of it, I've seen it used less and less over time by BOTW.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.