Help With Tripod Rifle Rest

JohnWess

Long story short I ended up having to have an emergency appendectomy last Thursday (10/3) and this Thursday (10/10) is opener of deer season. I am going to try to get out this weekend and find a buck despite my limited mobility.

I am comfortable out to 700 yards shooting as long as the wind is calm. However, I usually shoot prone. I don't see that as a possibility this weekend due to the incisions on my stomach and the pain that laying on them would bring. So, which tripod head would you guys recommend to be stable enough to take shots out to 6 or 700 yards? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John

Take a look at the "Triclawps Solo". There's also a double clamp system, which is a bit slower to lock down, but also a bit more solid. Their buzz line is: "when prone isn't possible." They fit on a standard tripod, or even a trigger-stick with the proper connecting hardware. They are not cheap, but they are very stable. Good Luck on your hunt!

I went with the manfrotto set up that Lowlight from snipershide showed. (). I didn't use the pistol grip ballhead though. I took a doe at 720 yards last year with it. I personally need to be sitting in a chair to get steady enough for a long shot. Only thing I would do different is loose the hog saddle and direct connect the rifle to the ball head. That would take a little wiggle out of the rig and save you a couple hundred dollars.

Look at the Ultimate Tripod or the Steady Shot Tripod.

I have the Ultimate Tripod. The Steady Shot looks like an exact copy.

It works very well. I can also remove the top and place it another base on it for use on a bench. This tripod works very well in the field.

a6b4821cb5718d9451f5c6a29d82c164.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate all of your help. I am liking the idea of a clamp system that I can put on my current tripod (like the triclawps). For now, I have decided to just limit my distance and shoot off sticks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.