Portable hunting Bench/Tripod/Rest.....

EyeDoc2020

I have a place on my ranch that I can sit at about 200' of elevation and shoot at feeders at 200 yds, 450 yds, and 700 yds. Right now I have an MTM High-Low shooting table and a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod. Both are OK for those ranges, but was wondering if there was an ultimate solution that was either portable (able to take down and pack out easily) or weather resistant and able to leave for the elements. The issue is I need to change direction by 30-40° and change elevation by 5°. I like the idea of a tripod, but want something rock solid. Pretend money was no object. ;) Thanks for the replies!

I know of a couple of people using these, they are pretty nice.

https://www.shootingbenches.com/

I have an older version of this model that is still working very well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VJUTEZM/?tag=lrhmag19-20

They make two models now, mine is like the Executor.

One of our members here if I remember right is making one more like the first link above maybe someone can chime in. Always good to keep the money "in the family" so to speak where we can.

I've tried the caldwell models several times and found them to be "lacking" to say the least.

Really right stuff tripod period. Shot standing out to 750 yards no problem. Sitting would be even more stable.
I pack the tvc 24L with anvil head on all my hunts. Took it to BC on mtn goat hunt this year.

35CA4D0C-640C-4075-9423-2B4B17FE1082.jpeg
6A9E6A0D-7558-4769-A7BA-D0CEFF06EC3F.png
D7794A2E-6F5D-4EE6-B159-F283AACEDE50.png

Another vote for RRS! I use a TVC 34 (I'm 6'3") with a leveling head. I also have their VYCE attachment for my hunting rigs. It's like having a 5lb lead sled in your bag. The tripod also soaks up a lot of felt recoil. It's speedy but my favorite purchase I've made for shooting ever. I also picked up Arca attachments for my Spotter, BR2, binos, etc.....with a quick throw of a lever they swap out in seconds.

As it was said above, you can shoot at great distances while standing, kneeling, Indian style, or even prone.

Last edited:
I have a place on my ranch that I can sit at about 200' of elevation and shoot at feeders at 200 yds, 450 yds, and 700 yds. Right now I have an MTM High-Low shooting table and a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod. Both are OK for those ranges, but was wondering if there was an ultimate solution that was either portable (able to take down and pack out easily) or weather resistant and able to leave for the elements. The issue is I need to change direction by 30-40° and change elevation by 5°. I like the idea of a tripod, but want something rock solid. Pretend money was no object. ;) Thanks for the replies!

OK, pretending ...

:cool:

I have the RRS 34 with leveling base and vyce attachment as well. I use it for closer to truck hunting and it's solid as a rock.
A heck of an investment but well worth it.

Well make up your mind that there is no perfect one size fits all with regard to shooting tables and tripods.
Where you hunt as for distance, and type of terrain is just one important element needing consideration.
Portability is another, and mixing both together and coming up with a perfect solution is all but impossible, at least for everybody.
Nothing is better than a well made bench for stability. And they need not be very heavy, if that factor is a priority in the design and material used in building of it. I have one weighing just about 20# with 4 fully adjustable legs I use for guns weighing over 30#. If I were building it again, it would have 3 legs, with the single leg in front.
But steady and light are not the only important factors either. Staying on a running animal regardless of the direction it takes after a shot is also extremly important, so that when it stops, the gun can be fired again right now. And frankly thats where most devices fail and fail badly.
You will find very few shooters having the ability to do that while laying on their belly also. But it can be done and weve done it, with not just one but 3 different bucks taken within about as many minits by 3 different shooters using the same gun at distances from 635 for the first, to roughly 750 for the third. 6 shots total fired with 2 of the 3 taking 2 hits. The gun was a 20# 300 Norma on a Mark V set up as a (single feed gun). My young grand daughters job was to stand near the gun holding the ammo box and lay another round in when the bolt was opened. lol
And we do that often, the shooters job is to concentrate on the animal and shoot, nothing else.
Our setup that day was a heavy duty tripod system made by McFadden Machine Co in Blairsville PA and known as the (Ultimate Tripod). I have done some minor mods to it by way of gun supports to accomadate that gun, and I recommend the optional flat rear support for a rabbit ear bag.
Another excellent tripod system, and maybe even slightly better but more costly also, is the (Lone Star) system made in Texas. Another in our group has that one as well.
As good as the benches are, they cant begin to compete with the tripods as for speed in using them. We simply couldn't have accomplished that had it not been for the tripod and standing while we shot, as opposed to sitting or kneeling as we do from my bench. And there also is a need in those type situations for a band director, otherwise people tend to get short term brain freeze.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm leaning towards a tripod after doing some reading for the simple fact that to get to my "spot" it's a decent hike not accessible by car or quad.
I would like some ideas on attachment methods. I have seen the Vyse and the Hog saddle, but is there an Arca attachment for regular hunting rigs? Also, any opinion on leveling base vs ball head.

Oh, if you're hiking with it, and you need fully portable, then a good heavy duty carbon fiber tripod with a saddle, like OH58DVIPER posted, would be your best bet.

Well lets describe the term best, as in best for what purpose? Ability to carry to remote areas? or best as for shooting stability? Note that in the scenario I described involving the 3 bucks, there were 3 shooters, one gun, and one tripod which weighs about 15#. That would be typical of the way (all) serious long range hunting is done by (everybody) in PA.
It's a group effort, not an individual effort, which is how we manage to get the best type equipment possible to the places we hunt and shoot. Sometimes small benches are carried in before the season and stashed nearby, and sometimes they are left there till they need replacing or repair.
Even guns and other things have been known to be stashed in the hard to get to places.
Strategicly located stumps with a wood top works also, and don't be asking about the stump. lol
Point being that good things take work, and time to prepare.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.