Magnum primer question

With the primer shortages I actually started to make my own primers. The ingredients or chemical composition were from Ardvark reloading. My results have been poor to good. But what a pain to manufacture by hand. But I figured it would be in my best interest to learn how if that became the only option.

I don't know Fahrenheit numbers, but cold for me is -5°—-8° C for winter when the deer are in hard antler. Snow is not uncommon and hunting in New Zealand during winter can be colder than that.
I still use WLR primers in the cold with stick powder, I use WLRM or Fed215 for ball powder, especially in my 375 Weatherby and 300RUM with 780 Supreme. Love that powder, wish they'd release it again.

Cheers.
Basically, I get to around 40F colder than you do then.. close to 30C... The world changes a bit when you get that cold. You have to worry about ice in your fuel, warming up your car, blizzards, frostbite on you and your dog, etc., etc.. I'd think of moving south but I'm rather settled here.

Last edited:
I find myself protecting my stash of GM215M primers like they are precious stones. Like other items that become scarce, I believe this is irrational. I currently don't shoot powder hog cartridges with extremely slow powders, but you never know when a great deal on a big magnum will come along. The last few bricks I have purchased were CCI BR-2 primers. I bought them because I found them locally and my 210's were getting low. I worked up loads and quite frankly cannot tell the difference between the other primers I was using.
Yup, same here. I have far more wlrm primers than 215's, so I'm shifting over to those for a spell and trying to buy a brick every time I load 1, even if I get ripped a good one buying them. I've actually bought a few bricks of remmy primers in the last year, both large rifle mag. and large pistol. I should probably pick up another brick of large pistol soon; I've loaded a ton of 41 mag since I bought the pistol. I'm also loading 10mm and 44 mag. on my stash so they don't go that far.

I agree with others. I've used a lot of the CCI 250s and would go that route if you have them. I also have a bunch of the Federal 215Ms that I use. For the most part all of my primers are CCIs though, there's a few thousand of the Federals scattered about when that's what I could find.

Basically, I get to around 40F colder than you do then.. close to 30C... The world changes a bit when you get that cold. You have to worry about ice in your fuel, warming up your car, blizzards, frostbite on you and your dog, etc., etc.. I'd think of moving south but I'm rather settled here.
When I hunted Kodiak back in 1993/4/5, I was told to bring ammo that was cold insensitive, so I used WLRM with 760 in my 375 Weatherby with 270g Woodleigh PP pills and H4350 with 300g Woodleigh PP. My 338WM was loaded with RE22 WLRM with 250g Partitions.
Wasn't sure if we needed it being Summer, but yes, it was cold mornings everyday. Didn't have any issues to speak of, but was impressed that my female guide of about 100lbs carried a 416RM everyday and a 357Mag on her hip.

Cheers.

When I hunted Kodiak back in 1993/4/5, I was told to bring ammo that was cold insensitive, so I used WLRM with 760 in my 375 Weatherby with 270g Woodleigh PP pills and H4350 with 300g Woodleigh PP. My 338WM was loaded with RE22 WLRM with 250g Partitions.
Wasn't sure if we needed it being Summer, but yes, it was cold mornings everyday. Didn't have any issues to speak of, but was impressed that my female guide of about 100lbs carried a 416RM everyday and a 357Mag on her hip.

Cheers.
Crazy, as Kodiak doesn't even get very cold during hunting season. I've never seen it below 20⁰F while hunting except maybe foxes in the winter.

Crazy, as Kodiak doesn't even get very cold during hunting season. I've never seen it below 20⁰F while hunting except maybe foxes in the winter.
Mornings were cold enough that the river had mist above it for about an hour, not sure what temp it was because I don't understand Fahrenheit. I have no idea what 20°F is in Celsius.

Cheers.