Sendero owners

esorensen

I've got a wonderful sendero ssf in 300 rum. I've heard that bedding the stock will improve accuracy. Since there are aluminum pillars/chassis, do you grind it out as if it were wood, or do you just float the action and/or floorplate magbox area? Any one who has done this please respond with results. Greatly appreciated.

Relax things will break loose.

Kirby Allen posted the complete process several months ago. I did a search but didn't come up with it on the first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Then I gave up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm not quite 100% sure as I don't know if the Sendero's pillars are concave or flat. If they are concave the action should be resting on them. If they are flat I'd go to Midway/Sinclair/Brownells etc and get a kit and follow the instructions.

I'll be pillar bedding my old clunker this winter I'll do what I stated above.

Also go here: Pillar Bedding by Darrell Holland I've heard that he knows a bit about the subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The bedding block is concave. I skim bedded my vsf which has the same hs bedding block. There is a good post I believe it is called basics of bedding and other stuff. It significantly improved the accuracy of my gun. Just found the post. This is pretty much what I followed. I didn't grind any of the metal, but I did do some inletting on the nonmetal areas to give the bedding a better hold into the stock. Basics of Bedding

If you are intending on doing it yourself, here is a link.

Download the powerpoint presentation. I haven't looked at it but it most probably has some pointers.
Link

If I were you unless really want to do it yourself I would send it to Kirby aka ( Fiftydriver ) He done a wonderful job on mine!

I would second what 7Rumloader said. Kirby skim bedded a
Sendero for me with great results. With the reasonable fee compared to the overall investment, to me it makes sense.

I definitely agree with these guys, I have had a sendero reworked by Kirby and it is an incredible gun. I was just making that suggestion because your post seemed to imply that you wanted to make the improvements yourself. I skim bedded my vsf( my first bedding job), and it was not pretty. I either screwed it up bad enough, or I miraculously hit "that sweet spot," because my vsf shoots incredible now (consistent 3" groups at 700). If you want to know it's done right, send it to a good smith. You will definitely see the difference.
The HS stocks have the same bedding block and if you want a project it can be done. If you want to be sure it is done perfectly have an experienced smith do it for you. My vsf was just a little testing project, once I shoot this barrel out I will definitely be summoning Kirby to totally rework this rifle and totally re-do the bedding.

I have a couple of Sendero's, which I have skim bedded. Both rifles are semi-customs and both shot tighter, more consistant groups after being bedded.

Here is the last one I did, it's on a 6.5x284 (.291 nk) that I wanted to extract every last bit of accuracy I could wring from the stock so I did the action sides as well as a supporting pad under the first two inches of the chamber beyond the recoil lug as it is fitted with a no7 profile Krieger.

(I think that this stock is a Bell and Carlson, as it is slightly different inside to the HS on my other 700)

DSC00204.jpg

I just ground out the aluminium areas to recieve the Devcon as I would for a wooden stocked rifle.

I was toying with purchasing an A5 for this rifle, but the **** thing shoots so well now, I cannot justify the expense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now I have another project in the melting pot that uses an A5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming. This rifle, I believe, has the potential to shoot quite well; not withstanding its factory shortcomings. I would like to do the bedding myself as it seems simple enough and if it comes down to it, I'll just get the A-5 theat I've been eyeing and have someone else fix it. Again thank you all and have a Merry Christmas!

I have a 300rum that I skim bedded, just did the minimal prep of roughing up the aluminum block so the bedding material would stick.

I can't say how much the bedding helped since I did it before I fired the first round out of the new rifle. I can say it shoots 1/2" groups out of an otherwise factory rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bedding a stock is not that complicated and others have supplied some great links for "how to" information. However I do concur that if you have time, just send it to Kirby, you won't be dissapointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.