Remington Sendero

Wisner74

I have wanted to start doing some long range shooting. A friend of mine recomends a remington 700 300 winchester mag sendero. I would like to get some input on this or some help before dropping $1100 +. I do alot of hunting in Wyoming, california, and just want to reach out and touch something. Looking on info, 300 wincester mag compared to the ultra magnum, quality scope to shoot out to 500 to 1000 yds. basically just some help.

Thanks
Wisner74

I have a Sendero in 7STW and it shoots awsome!! I think they are a great rifle to start with .I use a Leupold 6.5x20x50 on mine and have no problem shooting out to 800 yrds so far.The only thing you should need is a good trigger job or a after market one.

hello. I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago. I ended up getting the 300WM sendero and haven't looked back. It's a great rifle and shoots consistently out past 800 yds, possibly farther but i haven't shot past 850 yet. I added a NF NXS this year and has this ever opened my eyes to the long range shooting sport. I kept the factor trigger but lightened it up a bit which works great. I've been thinking about a brake, but might just go all out custom on the next one. I've been doing some loading and have found the accubonds work great for me at this point. my current load is 74.5 grains of RL22 under a 180gr nolser accubond w/CCI primers.

I have a Sendero in 300WM, it is great. The only issue I have with it is I topped it with a Nikon Tactical, and the eye relief is a little short for my liking on a relatively heavy-recoiling rifle. The weight is good enough to manage the recoil and keep it/me accurate. Mine shoots in the .5-.75 MOA range with two loads, 74gr Re22 and 200gr SMK and 73.2gr Re22 and 200gr Accubond.

If you are worried about the 300 win mag, just think that it was only about 10 years ago that the larger RUM and wildcats arrived on the scene save the 30-378 which wasn't very popular. The win mag is an awsome round and it is very capable of makeing long shots, but it is a personal choice as to how much power is needed and what you are shooting at. Deer are much easier to kill than Elk.

I'd reccomend at minimum a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell 4200 scope for such a rig. You may not want to have a very high low power, I use a 5.5-16.5 and it gets a little frustrating with real close range stuff. I'd look at 4 for a low if it isn't a dedicated long range rig. Higher power is nicer many times but realistically you can shoot pretty accurately with 12 power at 1000 yards.

Make sure you get some buddies to let you try the magnum rounds before you purchase. The extra velocity and power of the ultras looks great on paper, but I would never want to shoot a 300 RUM in a factory rifle. There is just too much recoil for me to shoot accurately without a brake and I HATE brakes. The 300WM is the top that I can handle so that's what I went with.

When I used to shoot at the public range I'd see guys with 300RUMs and .338s all the time, and rarely could they shoot them accurately. They are great for long range shooting is either you install a brake or have a higher recoil tolerance than me, but do your homework before you make the investment.

if you don't reload the 300 wm for sure. we have a bunch of them in different calibers. even the 7mm and 264 have a vais on them. adjust the trigger install a 6.5 to 20 or a 8 to 25 and you are set. rums have too much kick and the muzzle blast is really bad

A Corvette with the V-6. yeah buddy. Get the big block (RUM) and just drive it easy or put a brake on it and drive it full throttle in comfort.

A Sendero SFII in 300RUM with a brake on it is a wonder thing. Women and children love it. No matter what you get hand loading will be a must if for no other reason than economy. You can always load the big gun soft but a little gun will always be a little gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.