Seeking unbiased opinion/hands on experience on Browning AB3

FEENIX

... for a friend. A young Airman in my squadron was looking at Scheel's and got interested with the AB3 in either 7MM Mag or .300 Win Mag. It's right on his budget range and will be his intro to mid-long range hunting in the western states primarily for deer. It looks OK to me but I told him I'll ask here.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

ADDED: He's a newlywed (less than a year) and wifey gave him $500 budget. Sticker price for the rifle is $499. :)

Last edited:
I do not have a AB3. I do have an original AB and other Browning firearms and in my opinion they build quality firearms, period. I would think the AB3 would be no different. They are just trying to fill a market niche with this model.

I haven't ever touched an AB3, but have had 2 ABII's in 7mm RemMag, and they are excellent rifles.

Like I said, not sure about the ABIII, but I know the AB & ABII rifles are quality.

I have mixed feelings. I have handled several AB3s, and shot one. I am a big browning fan, have 4 AB2s in the safe. But, I am not a fan of the 3s. Short to mid range will be ok. Long range would be questionable. I would say the one I shot would be ok 250 yards and in. Maybe reloads would help. Don't know how easy it would be to accurize one of these rifles as the stock is weak and I don't know how easy a replacement stock would be to find.

Look at a Savage package gun or check the used racks around town. I did pick up an AB2 off the used rack at a pawnshop for 450 last year.

I have a 1991 Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker (model 1 I guess) in .300 Win. mag. and love it. That 3 lug bolt is sweet.

.300 Win. mag has a lot more bullet weights, styles and brands available than the 7 mm.
and that's why I chose it over the 7 mm. Rem mag.

Cabelas has a Tika T3 Lite blued/synthetic 300 Win Mag 24 3/4 inch barrel for 529.00 listed. I have handled several of these and like them. Stretches his budget a touch. I'd think we could find a scope laying around somewhere to top it off if that would help.

Cabelas has a Tika T3 Lite blued/synthetic 300 Win Mag 24 3/4 inch barrel for 529.00 listed. I have handled several of these and like them. Stretches his budget a touch. I'd think we could find a scope laying around somewhere to top it off if that would help.

Yep, I know what you mean, Tikkas are very nice rifles. My hunting buddy just bought one from one of the local gun stores earlier this week but not sure how much he paid for it ... we'll be breaking it in/sighting it tomorrow.

Thanks!

I have an AB1. I love the 3 lug short through and carry weight but the rest I am not fond of. It is a 1987 model in stainless steel. The barrel is hammer forged and walks so bad that it is difficult to ever get a sighted in and a good load worked up. It is an 7mm Mag with a 26" pencil barrel. My longest kill with it was 340 yards and I start not to trust it after about 250. The trigger is heavy and I know of no good upgrades to the trigger. Yes, Timney has the lower pull weight springs for it but they really don't do much for it.

I would recommend the Savage Weather Warrior in what ever caliber he chooses. We all know what can be done with them if the factory rifle doesn't meet expectations. I have one in 25-06 and it is wonderful.

I use the AB1 as a carry elk rifle for 250 and under.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.