Opinion on Berger .338

They tightened my groups at long distances to a mile plus. They have killed every thing we shot with them this season including a few elk, mule deer and antelope wtih not one having to be tracked. They have made my judging of the wind easier with their high BC . Whats not to like.

Jeff

thanks for the opinion. do you know what speed you are shooting them at and what cartridge are they chambered for?

There's quite a bit of info on this site here if you start playing with the search function a bit. Haven't heard a whole lot of bad with the 300 Berger. I shot a muley at 580yd and black bear at 741yd this year with an ave. MV of 2976fps. Some guys shooting them with with regular Lapuas and EDGEs at around 2800-2900, in general. Carlock seems to be a fan with a post here somewhere in Sept. of a 776yd bear and Broz, above, has killed a hole covey of big game at extended ranges with 'em this year if I recall correctly. Most folks seem to be reporting increased precision and consistency over the SMK.

They shoot the same size groups in my Edge and the same POI as the SMK. They have a slightly higher BC and expand better, so for most critters, I would rather take more damage and less windage. I am running them at 2727FPS with any where from .3 to .65 MOA. I will say that on a very large moose I am thankful the bullet hit rib bones and not shoulder bones. I feel that if the shoulder was encountered, things could have gotten UGLY. For anything smaller such as elk, I would be more enthusiastic about them. For large moose, I am anxiously awaiting the 300 grain ACCUBOND.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.