Opinion on Berger .338

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by thomas1234, Dec 25, 2011.

1. thomas1234

thomas1234 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Berger .338 300 grain bullets

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

They tightened my groups at long distances to a mile plus. They have killed every thing we shot with them this season including a few elk, mule deer and antelope wtih not one having to be tracked. They have made my judging of the wind easier with their high BC . Whats not to like.

Jeff

3. thomas1234

thomas1234 Well-Known Member

thanks for the opinion. do you know what speed you are shooting them at and what cartridge are they chambered for?

4. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

There's quite a bit of info on this site here if you start playing with the search function a bit. Haven't heard a whole lot of bad with the 300 Berger. I shot a muley at 580yd and black bear at 741yd this year with an ave. MV of 2976fps. Some guys shooting them with with regular Lapuas and EDGEs at around 2800-2900, in general. Carlock seems to be a fan with a post here somewhere in Sept. of a 776yd bear and Broz, above, has killed a hole covey of big game at extended ranges with 'em this year if I recall correctly. Most folks seem to be reporting increased precision and consistency over the SMK.

5. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

They shoot the same size groups in my Edge and the same POI as the SMK. They have a slightly higher BC and expand better, so for most critters, I would rather take more damage and less windage. I am running them at 2727FPS with any where from .3 to .65 MOA. I will say that on a very large moose I am thankful the bullet hit rib bones and not shoulder bones. I feel that if the shoulder was encountered, things could have gotten UGLY. For anything smaller such as elk, I would be more enthusiastic about them. For large moose, I am anxiously awaiting the 300 grain ACCUBOND.