Sea Level to 12,000 feet

If you have the time and resources go out there on a scouting trip and see how long it takes you to get over the initial symptoms I would recommend that. Then leave early enough to get past them for your hunt. I go from 1200' every year to hunt and have my acclimation process down. I get a headache at around 18 hours and am nauseous the second morning over 6K. By the 2nd evening the headache is gone as well as the soft stomach. the more water I can drink the sooner I feel better and I do not do a lot of strenuous hiking until the headache goes or it gets much worse. I am usually hunting between 8K and 12K.

@the blur ive seen people use a "training mask" (the ones MMA fighters use) that mimics high altitude training, but you can't cheat the real thing. I also live at sea level but hunt any where from 2500' to 10,000'+ on the weekends. I've been doing this my whole life so I guess you can say I'm acclimated but my lungs still burn from walking just 50' @ 10,000'+. Try going a week early and ease your way in 7,500', 10,000' then finally at 12,000' staying a couple days at each level and just relaxing.

P.S. try research supplements made specially designed for altitude training, but most of all drink lots of fluids especially pedyalyte. Good luck!!

Good advice on fluids...I doubt you will kill at 12,000 feet--walk a lot --I wasn't kidding. Walk bleachers if you have a large high school go out and walk laps around the football field and up and down the bleachers work up until you are spent. Best thing I have found

Having spent my entire adult life at (and most of it well above) mile-high altitude I've never had a problem with hunting at or above 10,000' MSL, so I really can't relate to those who find themselves struggling in the high country. I think the advice, such as Aoudad Shooter's tips, of actively increasing your aerobic function while still at sea level is spot on but once at altitude I would advise a very different plan of action.

In the high country try to move as slowly as the hunt will allow. The idea here being to never become breathless in the first place. Moving slowly, and intermittently, when hunting also enhances your likelihood of spotting those sheep before they are alarmed by your presence. Spend at least as much time stationary and glassing your surroundings as you do moving. Your slow and intermittent ambulation, with no shortness of breath nor aching muscles, will also enhance your safety with little risk of tripping, falling or stumbling on the uneven terrain.

Yes, do stay well hydrated but also maintain a healthy level of salt in your diet as the disabling effects of salt depletion are very common among low altitude visitors to the high country. Just a little bit of salted nuts, pretzels, crackers or whatnot in your trail mix can be good insurance against the debilitating onset of salt depletion.

Most of all, have a good, safe and comfortable hunt in our western high country.

P.S. I took the attached photo at the 14,000 foot level, 35 miles northeast of my Colorado home.

Blanca032.jpg