Sea Level to 12,000 feet

Drive, don't fly there. Get there as soon as possible before your hunt to acclimate. Sleep at a lower altitude than you hunt, if possible. If you feel really bad, don't "tough it out", get to lower altitude even at the cost of losing hunting time. Head to the hospital if you feel really bad and symptoms don't subside by going lower. It could be fatal if symptoms worsen.

Drive, don't fly there. Get there as soon as possible before your hunt to acclimate. Sleep at a lower altitude than you hunt, if possible. If you feel really bad, don't "tough it out", get to lower altitude even at the cost of losing hunting time. Head to the hospital if you feel really bad and symptoms don't subside by going lower. It could be fatal if symptoms worsen.

Please explain. I'm flying into Denver. 5,000'. Then driving to 8000' 6 hours away.

Optimum would be to drive there. That way you are gradually (somewhat) gaining altitude as driving, which is better than getting on the plane at sea level, then getting off the plane four hours later at 5000 feet. Just a suggestion, it might not be feasible.

Optimum would be to drive there. That way you are gradually (somewhat) gaining altitude as driving, which is better than getting on the plane at sea level, then getting off the plane four hours later at 5000 feet. Just a suggestion, it might not be feasible.

I've done that 100 times. Fly to Denver from sea level. Go hunting at 7000'. No problem. 10,000' will be a different story.....

Check out all the old fossils driving their Winnebagos over Iceberg Pass every year. Ya pass em on the Harley and they wave , happy as can be at 12,000 ft elevation. Don't worry about it unless you're a heavy smoker. Take along few low dose baby aspirin in ur pack. Have a good hunt!

If you are going from sea level to altitude, I think 8,000 feet is wise. If you sleep at 10,000 feet your first night you will get in trouble.

I live at 5700 feet. We often ski at Grand Targhee resort in western Wyoming. The lodge where we stay is at 8,000 feet. My wife would get bad headaches when we stay there. We began staying at Driggs, Idaho, which at 6,200 feet is much closer to our home altitude. When we ski at GT, even when we are at the summit at 9,800 feet, we have no problems during the day.

If you are going from sea level to altitude, I think 8,000 feet is wise. If you sleep at 10,000 feet your first night you will get in trouble.

I live at 5700 feet. We often ski at Grand Targhee resort in western Wyoming. The lodge where we stay is at 8,000 feet. My wife would get bad headaches when we stay there. We began staying at Driggs, Idaho, which at 6,200 feet is much closer to our home altitude. When we ski at GT, even when we are at the summit at 9,800 feet, we have no problems during the day.
I live N of Cheyenne at 6,300 and have a ranch outside of Laramie @ 7,700. I feel the difference every time I go over the Laramie Summit @ 8,640. (Highest point on I-80 between NYC and San Francisco. A sleeper of a problem is hydration! You are dealing with much higher water demand at altitude. My wife and I were in agony until we figured that one out after we moved here from Virginia and basically sea level. You have to force yourself to diligently drink water. Also — we both find that with the higher water intake you need to add in potassium supplements or nasty leg, arm and hand cramps will make your life seriously miserable!

First off, congratulations on the tag!
What area did you draw?
I drew a tag last year, and even with living at 7k and working at 8k+ it is a hard change. I spent as much time as possible scouting trying to get ready for the hunt. Sleeping at elevation was very difficult for me. I noticed I would get sore worse at higher elevations than I did hiking at sub 9k. Take supplements to help you with circulation. I used mtn ops bcaa? and enduro. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I'm still doing it. Trying to do a little something every day. Rowing, walking, lifting, riding.
I actually am seeing a difference in strength and walking speed. About 20% !!

I know it'll never be enough for the Sheep hunt, but certainly an improvement.

Packed in on horseback into the west elk wilderness in Colorado in 1981. I was 28 and in great shape. 1st night camped at 9500 ft. I woke up many times sucking for air. Had headache for two days. But it was two week hunt and after two days I was good to go. One of the best hunts I've ever had.

I live at sea level and Florida and been that high in the Maroon Bells on 2 different occasions, camped at roughly 10,500'. Your best bet is be in dang good shape. Get there early to acclimate. I prefer driving over flying because it's not a shock to your system as bad. If you start feeling bad…get lower. Canned oxygen is light and will help. Drink plenty of water. Remember it's not a race up that high if you're struggling. Rushing won't help. Stay ahead of your symptoms and don't reflect 'em. My hunting partner and good friend took a supplement I think was called altitude x or something like that. It was his first trip and didn't have any issues. But both of us are pretty good shape.

I live at sea level and Florida and been that high in the Maroon Bells on 2 different occasions, camped at roughly 10,500'. Your best bet is be in dang good shape. Get there early to acclimate. I prefer driving over flying because it's not a shock to your system as bad. If you start feeling bad…get lower. Canned oxygen is light and will help. Drink plenty of water. Remember it's not a race up that high if you're struggling. Rushing won't help. Stay ahead of your symptoms and don't reflect 'em. My hunting partner and good friend took a supplement I think was called altitude x or something like that. It was his first trip and didn't have any issues. But both of us are pretty good shape.
I live in Florida at sea level as well, and actually lived in CB 20 years ago. I go back to that area regularly to ski and hunt and, while I do start pounding water and carry my nalgene before I ever leave Florida, I am always pleasantly surprised by how little I am affected by the altitude when I get back out there. 45 yrs old. My opinion is that is varies person to person, regardless of how fit someone is or is not. Best thing is to be as conservative as possible.....if you fly @the blur , I would go a day before you need to be there and spend the night in town at a hotel somewhere before hitting the trailhead the next day.