Sea Level to 12,000 feet

Not lots of options. If I remember right diomox can be obtained as a prescription to help avoid altitude sickness. The best thing to do, I suspect is to arrive several days early and let your body start adjusting prior to long hikes. Even if you only get to 7-8,000 ft it would be a start. Good luck.
Bruce

What is the highest elevation where you live or that you can get to on regular bases to acclimate your body before the hunt.? The effects of high altitude sickness on humans can have you really fast. Nothing takes the place of being at altitude. Good Luck Cheers

Going from sea level to 12,000' can have health issues. Even if you are in good shape the oxygen content at sea level is about 21% and then 12,000' it goes down to 13%.
I did a lot of Sky Diving and even short time at altitude 10,000'+ from sea level could get hypoxic. I also climbed a lot of mountains 20,000'+ and had to adjust to altitude.
I have seen people (tourists) on Maui got to the top of Haleakala 10,000' by vehicle and pass out at the top after walking around.

There are many documents and information on the internet to help you out. You should not go from living at sea level on day to then 12,000' the next. Check with your Guide Service/Outfitter and also your Physican. There would be nothing worse than planning for a lifetime Hunt, PAY for it and then getting sick or worse on the hunt.
Good luck on your hunt and be safe.
Len & Jill

A few ideas from the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), "Wilderness Medicine" book:

Acclimatization is the key. Start out sleeping at altitudes below 10,000 feet and spend 2 to 3 nights there before going higher.

Climb high but sleep low. Stay hydrated. Avoid sleeping medication.

Become familiar with symptoms/signs of severe altitude illness, High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE). At onset of these symptoms be willing to move rapidly to lower elevation.

Just saw a TV Show "Parker's Trail" from "Gold Rush". They were in Peru and went higher than 12,000' (think 15,000'+) . Within three days Parker started with a head ache and in hours was extremely sick and needed medical attention. The TV show stopped for the next episode so don't know how bad he got.
The main thing I learned from mountain climbing is to get "Acclimatized" for altitude. I was climbing Denali one year and we were "Leap Frogging" camps to get acclimatized. Our Lead Guide has had many mountain expeditions under his belt and he still got very sick AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness).

Drew a tag for 12,000'. Live at sea level. Problem, major problem.
Losing weight is the easy part.
Joining a gym is the easy part.

Training for thin air, not sure what to do........................................................
Its a whole new world when you are working your body above 8K. Buddy was cramping and not feeling well at all when we hiked from 8 to a 10K peak. Horses were not acclimated, and no way was I going to ride them up. The only real way is to get to that elevation or as close as you can and acclimate for as long as you can. In all seriousness go a week early if you can to acclimate. They have those training masks that help a little.

I have a motel rented out at 8000' for 3 days before the hunt. Not quite 10,000', but it's the best I can do.
I don't know, you might think about taking a few cans of "Boost Oxygen" and perhaps a bottle of Altitude Rx Oxyboost tablets I think no matter what you are going to need a little help in the end. Good Luck Cheers.