Scratches on brass from chamber

clark270

Could I polish out the chamber with some jb polish and not worry about it taking too much off.Or some 220 grit followed by the jb. I can see the tooling marks inside the chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_20150823_160906603.jpg
    IMG_20150823_160906603.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 398
It's been awhile since I've seen a rifled chamber. I hope you didn't have to pay for that. It will change the size substantially by the time those marks disappear. I suggest setting it back a thread and recutting it.

It's been awhile since I've seen a rifled chamber. I hope you didn't have to pay for that. It will change the size substantially by the time those marks disappear. I suggest setting it back a thread and recutting it.

+1 Set it back and cut a new chamber (With a different reamer and smith).

I don't recommend polishing any chamber because if it is cut with a Good Reamer and by a competent Gunsmith It does not need polishing. This chamber looks like it was chattering from an undersized pilot or an improper spindle speed (Or both).

As Hired Gun said, Polishing a chamber will only degrade the chamber size and accuracy. It can also
cause extraction problems.

A honed look is the proper finish in a chamber and offers some grip on the case during firing, lowering bolt loading but does not impede extraction.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.