Building from scratch

zoeper

I have a strong itch to build my own rifle this year.
I plan on getting a match barrel and doing the chamber and profiling myself.
I was thinking of getting a factory action and making a laminated stock to suit, but now the itch got worse! I am now contemplating also machining the action from 316 stainless bar stock. For the bolt and magazine, i can either buy a bolt and magazine and machine the action to suit, or i can make these as well.

Has anyone here made their own actions and if so, would you do it again?
Lessons learned? designs to recommend?

Any comments/ suggestions welcome.
P

I've manufactured my own receivers.

I'd personally shy away from any 300 series stainless. 17-4 PH in a solution annealed state (H1150) is a very good material for building actions. 15-5 PH is also a great choice.

Carbide tooling will have a definite advantage over HSS. Be **** careful not to work harden the material when drilling/tapping guard/scope screw holes.

I'd also shy away from contouring a finished barrel. I've done it and I've gotten away with it, but I can't help but think that a barrel maker will do a better job since they are set up for the task. Your paying for it anyway so why not let them do it?

You'll have your hands plenty full making the receiver and bolt.

I have considered it, but those raceways seems like a real booger to machine. I bought a small metal shaper for that purpose, but lost interest in the project. There are some easier designs for home built actions but you will end up building your own bolt also. I would pass, but there has to be some huge personal satisfaction in taking an animal with a scratch build. I think that I am going to opt for a falling block design for my scratch build, but it is probably going to be a long range muzzle loader that is going to use shortened CF cases for ignition. Over on the home gunsmithing forum there are a lot of ideas for scratch builds.

Two ways to get raceways.

Broaching or EDM.

Look up 3 Sigma Machine in Kent Washington. Ask for Ken (he's the owner)

Ken Frankel is pretty much the smartest man on the planet and one hell of a gifted engineer/machinist/programmer, and super cool MoFo.

He can burn you a receiver blank cheaper than anyone since he's already doing it for several marquee action manufacturers.

Gundrilled bore honed to finish ID, Wire EDM'd raceways, and cylindrically ground OD concentric to the bore CL.

Great guy, great (awesome) stuff.

Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. I shot Ken a mail and will see what he comes back with. Have you come across any well documented builds?
P

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.