firing pin scratch

trickytune

Hi, I was at the range with my Browning A bolt II .223 rem today and had a misfire. The rifle has fired approx 110 rounds from new at that point. This is the second time its happened. Ammo was factory federal. The firing pin mark was much less both times its happened compared to rounds that have gone off. I have pulled the bolt apart to check and clean and have found if inserted from the other end of the bolt the firing pin feels a bit sticky. I can hardly see it but there is a spot about 3/8" from the end where you can catch a fingernail on. Which in me eyes is the issue. Should I just polish it up? It probably still has 18 months warranty but Im not sure I want to go through the grief of dealing with that.

If you work on it yourself or let someone else, who's not factory authorized, work on it the warranty will have been voided. How much 'trouble' can it be to let authorized service take care of it?

Last edited:
if your sure that's the problem then I would e mail pics to browning see what they say, they may tell you to have it polished, more than likely they will want it sent back. On the other hand how much is a new firing pin?

Sometimes when the firing pin strike is inconsistent it can have to much head space for the ammo fired in it. the loaded round can move forward minimizing the firing pin strike.Measure a fired round from the case neck junction to the case head and then do the same to a loaded round to see the difference, if it is over .006 then head space may be the problem.

The other thing I can think of that could be causing this, is the firing pin spring. After you remove the firing pin assembly look at the spring, if it goes in the bolt with lots of drag and it looks like it is over compressed (Wavy) it needs to be replaced . this is common on some rifles and causes slow lock times and soft strikes.

The best thing to do is have a good gun smith look at it if you are not sure about what you see .
he can even measure the firing pin protrusion for you.

Hang fires are scary and you don't want to have to deal with them.

J E CUSTOM

shortgrass

I live over 1000km to my current dealer the local one I purchased from is not overly helpful. When I asked the barrel twist before purchase he said it only matters on target rifles. Funny how I'm now restricted by the barrel twist.

J E Custom

2 problems the first is the scratch is about 1/3 around the pin and I'm sure may slow it sometimes so I will be taking it back to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully they don't mind I pulled the firing pin out. Second I made up a gauge to check the cases. Set it on 3 fired shells.
Winchester factory load .004"-.005"
Magtech factory load .005"
Wolf .006"
Federal AE223 factory . .007"-.008"
That would explain why it does it only on that ammo so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.