Getting a scratch on each piece of brass.

AJ Peacock

Every time I shoot my 338 Edge, I get a small nick on the shoulder of my brass. I've shot the same brass up to 12 times without any problems, but I'm just curious if there is anything I can do or should do? I've cleaned the chamber several times, just in case it was a random filing in the chamber. I've swabbed the chamber with a Q-tip and it won't pick up any fibers from the Q-tip.

You can see the little line right above the reflection and just below the shoulder, the right hand side of the nick just touches the shoulder. It is a little nick that you can just feel with your fingernail.

Edge-scratch.jpg

Is this from the tool when they chambered the rifle? It is a pre-chambered barrel from Pac-nor. It shoots great, I was just curious if they did something when they were chambering it that they shouldn't have (stopping the machine without backing the reamer out or something?

On the bright side, I can tell how many times each of my brass has been shot :D:D:rolleyes:

Thanks,
AJ

Every time I shoot my 338 Edge, I get a small nick on the shoulder of my brass. I've shot the same brass up to 12 times without any problems, but I'm just curious if there is anything I can do or should do? I've cleaned the chamber several times, just in case it was a random filing in the chamber. I've swabbed the chamber with a Q-tip and it won't pick up any fibers from the Q-tip.

You can see the little line right above the reflection and just below the shoulder, the right hand side of the nick just touches the shoulder. It is a little nick that you can just feel with your fingernail.

Edge-scratch.jpg

Is this from the tool when they chambered the rifle? It is a pre-chambered barrel from Pac-nor. It shoots great, I was just curious if they did something when they were chambering it that they shouldn't have (stopping the machine without backing the reamer out or something?

On the bright side, I can tell how many times each of my brass has been shot :D:D:rolleyes:

Thanks,
AJ

AJ is the rifle a center feed or a staggered feed ?

It may be from the mag or it could be from hitting something on ejection.

Place a new loaded round in the chamber with out placing it in the mag and fire it then remove
it very carefully with out letting it eject and examine it if the mark is there then it almost has to be something in the chamber.

If you have the reamer very carefully insert it into the chamber and using a 1/2" socket extension
backwards very slowly turn the reamer (Do not use any pressure on the reamer) all you want
to do is remove any thing that is there and nothing else.

If the round comes out without any marks when removed slowly and with out ejection then
place it in the magazine and feed it in and then extract it slowly and examine it for the mark/scratch if it is still not there then in the process of ejection it is hitting something (Normally
the scope base or part of the ring.

I hope this makes sense and you can find what is causing it.

Any defect caused by the reamer are normally circumferential and not in this location.

J E CUSTOM

JE,

Thanks. It is a single shot Savage with an action mounted ejector, so it isn't rubbing something on the way out. It doesn't look like a scratch, so much as a pressed in nick (like a chisel tap would leave).

I've just about convinced myself that it's a tiny burr from the shoulder in the chamber. I was wondering if I could polish it out with a little rouge on the shoulder of a cartridge or something like that? I can easily take the barrel out of the action (it's actually out of the action right now, as I've been shooting the 300wsm).

Thanks,
AJ

JE,

Thanks. It is a single shot Savage with an action mounted ejector, so it isn't rubbing something on the way out. It doesn't look like a scratch, so much as a pressed in nick (like a chisel tap would leave).

I've just about convinced myself that it's a tiny burr from the shoulder in the chamber. I was wondering if I could polish it out with a little rouge on the shoulder of a cartridge or something like that? I can easily take the barrel out of the action (it's actually out of the action right now, as I've been shooting the 300wsm).

Thanks,
AJ

That's what it looks like to me .

I have seen semi autos ding brass on the way out .

It is a strike mark made by something. I don't think it is a defect made buy the reamer.

Also I would not recomend polishing any chamber .

There is another way to find out if ti is in the chamber and that is to cast the chamber with
some cerosafe or even pure lead with the bolt open and no extraction after it cools it will fall
out. and you don't have to cast the hole chamber just the front half.

Just another thought

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Casting the chamber is an excellent idea. I have some cerasafe around here somewhere. If it is a little burr, is there anything I can do about it, or should do about it? I don't have a reamer.

It will be a simple job to cast it, as it is a loose barrel at the moment.

Here is an updated photo with the highlight of the scratch, just to be precise.

Edgescratch.jpg

AJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.