Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

kc

I have a Burris I love...no question it is always on and it gets the $#it kicked out of it every Deer season..I am buying another Scope this week..for a .300 Savage Leaver action . What would you buy and what would you not even think of buying.
I am going with a 2X7X40 or a 4x if I can find one.

Nothing from Simmons,Tasco, or Bushnell. I know, I know, ''what about the Bushnell elite'' Well if you like em, cool, but theyre still a Bushnell. Sorry.

Inexpensive scopes to keep
Nikon prostaff, Burris ff2, newer Weavers, Redfields, and Leupold VX-I's and VX-II's

Good scopes period cheap or expensive models;
Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, etc.

"Holy crap thats expensive!!......" scopes that are still worth what you pay for long range shooting;
Leupold VX-III Leupold Mark-4, Zeiss anything, Swarovski anything.
Then I here great things, but have 0 experience with: Night Force, and U.S. Optics

Well thats how I see it. Your opinion may differ, but my mind is made up:D

I am a believer in you get what you pay for. Also You should look at warranties. Leupold is a FULL Lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty. Zeiss, swarovski Leica same way. No recipt needed. However not everyone can afford to just go buy one of the above mentioned. However anyone who is buying a decent scope can probably afford a Leupold VX1 So that would be my vote. Maybe burris and nikon are good scopes. No doubt they have worked for a lot of people for a lot of years trouble free. But they usually carry a warranty along the lines of the warranty is only against worsmanship to the origional owner with a recipt. Point being if you smash your Bushnell on a rock you have to buy another one now you have paid for a bushnell what you would have paid for a Leupold plus the inconvenience and frustration. Leupold would have fixed or replaced it no questions asked.

I have a Burris I love...no question it is always on and it gets the $#it kicked out of it every Deer season..I am buying another Scope this week..for a .300 Savage Leaver action . What would you buy and what would you not even think of buying.
I am going with a 2X7X40 or a 4x if I can find one.

My two favorite scopes are Burris and Leupold.

The reason is both scopes are very durable and have good warranties (Even though I have never used the warranty on either.

I like the glass on the Leupolds and the eye relief. for the price they are hard to beat.

The burris's go on all of my hard kicking guns that exceed 60 ft/lbs of recoil because they
are just plain tough. They don't gather the light that the Leupolds do but there is not much
difference.

So if you like the Burris Stay with it because it will stay with you. I also like the posi lock
system that they have and bought a 1.7x5 safari with 4.5 inches of eye relief to put on my
unbraked 416 buffalo in leu of iron sights. The scope tracts perfict and the posi loc nails
it down.

J E CUSTOM

CK out Doug at CameralandNy. It looks like he has some Zeiss demos at very good pricing. I have bought two Zeiss demos from him and am very happy with both. I dont see how you could go wrong, they come with full transferable warranty. Bill Maylor..

Hey kc, what did you get? I have a .300 Savage FW myself, was thinking about something compact & lightweight.

I am a believer in you get what you pay for. Also You should look at warranties. Leupold is a FULL Lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty. Zeiss, swarovski Leica same way. No recipt needed. However not everyone can afford to just go buy one of the above mentioned. However anyone who is buying a decent scope can probably afford a Leupold VX1 So that would be my vote. Maybe burris and nikon are good scopes. No doubt they have worked for a lot of people for a lot of years trouble free. But they usually carry a warranty along the lines of the warranty is only against worsmanship to the origional owner with a recipt. Point being if you smash your Bushnell on a rock you have to buy another one now you have paid for a bushnell what you would have paid for a Leupold plus the inconvenience and frustration. Leupold would have fixed or replaced it no questions asked.

Please add Barska to the junkers list. I have a March 10-60X and it is excellent glass, but the warranty is for just 5 years and is not transferrable. I have purchased used, both Zeiss and Leica spotters, and I can tell you from hard experience they are not transferrable warranties. It cost me $600 to repair the Zeiss. They wanted $900 and I negotiated down.

I have a lot of Bushnell products, but, I no longer buy Bushnell anything. Several years ago, I bought a new 8x binoc with rangefinder, paid $550 for it, and one side would not focus. Returned it to Bushnell, and they said nothing wrong with it. I called their customer service department to protest, but they stuck to their guns and would not repair or replace it. I only get burned once.

"I am a believer in you get what you pay for" Me too.

Keepers:
Zeiss, Swarovski, a few Leupolds, Schmidt Bender, Hansolt, March, Doctor, Kahles.

Trash: Everything else

If you can't afford a decent scope then wait and save more. Take any of the decent scopes out at dawn/dusk and compare with the others and the difference is immediately obvious.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.