Do scopes for crossbows have to be crossbow scopes?

I was wondering if crossbows would trash a rifle scope like an airgun would?Thanks ahead Huntz
Not at all. What ruins many scopes on a "airgun" is almost exclusively with "springers". The dual recoil putting recoil back and forward is what a lot of lower end scopes are not designed for. Even then if you spend a lot of money and put a 4-500 scope on a springer it will be fine. Older crossbows have very little forward recoil, and the newer versions the last 10 years or so even less. Mount it up and shoot your new rifle in bow season.

Not ruin the scope, however, what is the advantage of a crossbow scope is the speed ring. A very good crossbow scope is made by Hawke, check them out I have one on mine and love it.

I think the major difference between a rifle scope and a scope made for crossbows is going to be fixed parallax setting is closer on the crossbow scope (same with shotgun and muzzleloader scopes). Then there could be BDC (turrets or reticles) to somewhat match the intended application.

IME, the major difference was in how the magnification worked. You used the magnification to align the bdc to your arrow speed.

So with a non-crossbow scope, I think you would end up with a single aim point. Which the trajectory is so bad on an arrow, you really need multiple aim points.

I used to use Excaliber.

IME, the major difference was in how the magnification worked. You used the magnification to align the bdc to your arrow speed.

So with a non-crossbow scope, I think you would end up with a single aim point. Which the trajectory is so bad on an arrow, you really need multiple aim points.

I used to use Excaliber.
That is what I have now ,but the scope got broke.Falling out of a tree stand did not help it,but the bow is fine.I just stuck a Leupold 1-4 on it until I have the coin for a new cross bow scope.I sighted it in at 25 yards which will work fine right now.Huntz

Recent Posts