Scope Rings Selection?

Mark37082

This may not be the most exciting or important component to consider on a new rifle, but the shear number of options and designs has me scratching my head. So here are my requirements: 30mm tube, scope is 50mm objective on Sendero barrel, light weight, anti cant bubble, integrated pic rail on a LA Defiance Anti X, Hunting Rifle.
I don't mind spending the $$ to get something that is worth the investment.
Rings I'm considering:
Hawkins UL: $172; I am familiar with this setup; a little bulky; lows are .885 and mediums are 1.0; 7075 base clamp and 6061 on rings.
Farrell: $166.63; limited info on rings; more options on heights than most; no integrated anti cant.
MDT: $279.95; limited info; bubble level in base, 1.0 height minimum with anti cant.
Nightforce: $245 with optional bubble level; .885 lows, 1.0 medium
IOTA: $189.99; offset bubble level that is larger than most; light for turret (not sure if I would use it); .83 lows; 1.12 Mediums; 6061-T6 aluminum.
Seekins: $140 without anti cant; more height options than most, not sure on profile (thickness).
Zeiss: $199.99; offset bubble level; look to be a fatter profile; .85 low; 1.0 medium.
There probably others out there. As is normal for me, I am probably over-thinking this. I would prefer a thinner profile to overcome some of mounting issues on the integrated rail on the action. I am not a huge fan of bulky tactical rings on a hunting rig, but this is not a deal killer.
Any and all input/feedback is welcome.

I have used Burris Signature Zee rings on several rifles and they work great. They hold the scope tightly, look good, allow for adjustment within the rings and will not mar up the scope like other rings do. And they are much less expensive than the rings you listed.

I find Seekins to be outstanding in quality and function, and good value. I run medium (0.87?) on all my picatinny railed rifles, with ample clearance on 30mm tube and 50 mm objective. Could potentially go a size shorter in fact.

I also prefer a bubble level that hangs off the non-dominant eye side of scope. The ones in the bases or on the top of the rings usually require you to move your head off the scope a smidge to see them. The ones that hang off the side allow you to just open your off eye, and you can see the level and the cross hairs all at once.

I find Seekins to be outstanding in quality and function, and good value. I run medium (0.87?) on all my picatinny railed rifles, with ample clearance on 30mm tube and 50 mm objective. Could potentially go a size shorter in fact.

I also prefer a bubble level that hangs off the non-dominant eye side of scope. The ones in the bases or on the top of the rings usually require you to move your head off the scope a smidge to see them. The ones that hang off the side allow you to just open your off eye, and you can see the level and the cross hairs all at once.

I can't disagree with anything you wrote. The last two sets i've bought were Seekins to mount a couple of XTRIII 5.5-30s.

I too also prefer a level that hangs to the offhand side, much easier to see while staying in position behind the scope.

OP- If I had to choose an end-all ring that I could/would never deviate from, I'd run ARC rings on everything I have. Mounting is just SO much simpler/easier. They are bulky & tactical looking but they are sweet!

t

I appreciate the input. I may end up just adding a bubble level after installing the rings. The scope should be here tomorrow so can determine the appropriate height I will need using the Hawkins .885 as a guide. The Seekins are definitely on the finalist list.

No bubble level, and your list has good ones in it. But the arc m10s are the only rings that have made me stop and reevaluate all my other rings.

* just did a cursory search looks like oos except high and ultra high, so no beans.

I'll say this a buddy showed up with a defiance rebel sheep hunter ( essentially the precursor to the anit x) with integrals and arc rings a few years back. It was one slick setup.

Last edited:
I have both Hawkins with the offset level and Seekins rings and really like both. If I need a level, I go with Hawkins. If not, I go with Seekins.
I just looked at the Hawkins with the offset level at RedHawk earlier today. $5 to get the offset vs the other. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Well I ordered a set of .87 Seekins after test fitting the scope with the .885 Hawkins. I'll buy a add on bubble level later. Biggest challenge is the scope bell almost touching the integrated rail. I've got about 1/4 inch to work with to maintain the eye relief window. Thanks for the input.

For the record (seems like OP has made a choice), I too really like Burris Signature rings. The plastic inserts, once tightened down, have never allowed a scope to move for me. And my scopes re-emerge from the gun with no marring, dents or any damage. I think the scope would fail in a "drop gun" situation before the grip on the rings would fail.

And then there is the benefit from the Burris rings that you can add a nearly infinite variety of tilt and angle to the scope. Just why they are not more popular eludes me......

Recent Posts