Scope recommendations

If you planning on hunting don't forget that you probably do not want to go above 4x on the lower end or you will lose FOV. In that price range I suggest planning on a 30 mm tube and I prefer illuminated reticle. I'm 50 and it seems to help my older eyes.

As far as brands in that range Leupold VX5 is a nice option Leica has the Amplus that is also a nice option. Don't sleep on the Trijicon Credo I have looked through it next to a NightForce SHV and for me it was much clearer.
Most importantly welcome to the best forum on the internet and have fun with all of your choices.

Brent
I have a 6.5 Grendel set up for woods hunting and the .257 wears a Leupold varmint receptacle. I only get about 5 days out of entire hunting season to hunt. But get home just before dark enough days to get 10 to 15 minutes of hunting time left. The drive way splits the farm in half. Straight to the woods is 350 yards both sides. And run down 500 on left before opens to neighbors farm. On right 400 yards the shoots back a hundred yards before then goes down 300 more yards before makes left. Straight back is just under 1k yards. In the back the deer range from 700 to 950 yards most of the time. The .257 handles 500 and less. Looking to make the 7mm 700 yard to 1k. Get home see deer under 500 grab .257 over 700 grab 7mm. Was just my thought. Unless woods hunting most of my shots range 300 to 500 yards right now. Want to stretch it out some. Around here the wind normally lays down the last half hour of day light.

Welcome from Ga. for me I have a Leupold VX5HD 3x15-44 Fire Dot. They run around 1K. Two hunting seasons behind it and no issues. For the money and a hunting scope to me it's a great scope. JMO.

Meopta optika 6 offers second and first focal plane options in your price range. I currently have the 5-30x56 and I had a 4.5-27x50 and highly recommend both. Great glass and spot on tracking.

Welcome from Illinois!
1200 $ will buy you lots of different scopes!
I been buying Vortex scopes for the past few years!!

ving for another bunch of months. I am about $1200 to spend on a scope. Looking for recommendations plan on hitting a few places to actually look though some of the scope hopefu
We've been using a Vortex Venom FFP MRAD for our testing and videos. Very similar yet not as clear as the Viper PST FFP MRAD scopes we've also tested. Also ran a Vortex HST in SFP MOA in hunting and match shooting.

The FFP reticle is very helpful for target shooting, but also comes in handy for using the reticle to range targets. It's faster so you don't have to dial between shots. No matter what the magnification is, your 1,2,3..etc MRAD subtensions are true.

With Viper HST the glass is really nice, 50mm objective is great for low light. The SFP isn't as useful, but, you can just dial elevation so you don't have to rely on holding. Not having a Christmas tree reticle on this scope is nice for hunting but I would prefer a FFP.

In general, SFP will get you a lighter optic with better glass for the same money. I've got a Leupold VX6 3-18 and a Vortex PST2 5-25. I think the glass is a little better on the Leupold, but both are good. Weight is the big difference ~ 12-14 oz.

I'd look at the Leupold vx5hd 3-15 with the windplex reticle or the viper PST2. If the primary purpose is hunting, with some long range shooting go with the Leupold. If vice versamax, go with the vortex.

FWIW, I find that for shooting out to 800 m (875 yds), I use 15-16 power on the vortex. There is a 3-15 vortex that may have a more useful magnification range for hunting and still get you out to long range.