Scope Recommendations

P3141635.jpg
Lance, that remark was precious! (Even though I like the "Made in America" AMG.)

I've heard the Vortex AMG has had some teething problems but is now in good shape. It is "relatively" light for its power range and made of the highest quality materials.

But the MARCH line on light scopes is only exceeded in "quality lightness" by the 1" tubed Swarovski light scopes.

gpo, Yep that Bushnell LRTSi is a good choice too and I almost bought it until I saw the much more spendy MARCH scope. So I'm saving my dinero for it and using a very good SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 mil/mil scope in the meantime on my 6.5 CM X-Bolt Pro. I originally had the SWFA on a former 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator. Really good scope for the money, a notch below the Bushnell LRTSi but with equal quality glass.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have two AMGs and find them to be of high quality both in build and quality of glass.

If I had a complaint it would be FOV... it took me a bit to find a mule deer last year at 300 yards when I transitioned from bino to scope. As I write this I am thinking I have not compared FOV on similar scopes... those **** mule deer blend in to gray backgrounds early in the morning.

I am a FFP guy, so here are my picks.

I have a March F 3-24×52 @ 24.4oz too. One of the best high magnification lightweight FFP hunting scopes out there.

Also, Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50 @ 27.7oz. I would put a top quality 15x up against a mediocre 24-25x any day for a hunting scope. I have found them plenty for shooting out to 1500 yards. (Not saying the AMG is a mediocre scope by any means, I had one for a while)

The S&B PMII 5-20×50US is 29oz. Tough to beat that. And the 3-20×50US is right at 31oz I think. Either of those are a phenomenal choice.

Kahles K318i 3.5-18×50 @ 32oz I believe. 2oz over, but top notch compact optic. I am debating one for my next lightweight build.

Zeiss Conquest 5-25 HD is really hard to beat for the price and quality I have three Conquest scopes. The new Burris' are great. The Veracity and XTRII and III. They stand behind their products unbelievably. If yoiu get a FFP scope get a finer crosshair if you are shooting small targets.
Leupolds are usually pretty good, pretty much the standard all others are judged by. I think the Conquest has better glass in the $1000 price range. You would not be sorry with a Zeiss. I've heard that Nightforce is not what it used to be.
If you want a real surprise look at Sun Optics Vixen scopes or even their lesser scopes are pretty darn good.

Looking for a lighter quality scope
At least 20x but would prefer at least 25.

The scopes I'm looking at are
Vortex AMG
Leaupold Mark 5 hd
Nightforce SHV
Nightforce NXS

Am I missing any other scopes on the lighter side? Around 30.0 oz and under
You should look at March Optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.