Scope Recommendations

For my hard use scopes, the NF top them all. (ATACR 4-16x42 on a couple hunting/range Rifles. Just ran both of them on Proof Rifles out to 1630 last weekend. I really like how they perform in the field and on the range.

I did grab a couple Leupold VX6 3-18x44 a little while ago. These went on hunting rigs I wanted to put on a diet to shave some weight. I was very happy with how they performed when working them before this seasons hunts. Only was able to take them to 1000 yards. Much further than they'll ever go on a hunt. Tracked perfectly on tall target and other tests.

I also just picked up a VX6 HD 2-12x42 for a seriously slender carbon stocked light hunting rig. Haven't had it to the range yet. That'll have to wait until after the holidays.

Good luck.

I am also very impressed with the VX6, I have the 3-18x50 (not HD) on my 28 Nosler and I've dialed it extensively. Tracks very well and great glass, made first round hits over 1300 yards.
That being said I just picked up a Z5 5-25x52 for an ultralight long range setup. I have to admit the glass is better than the VX6, only down side is the stock turrets are a total joke, and adjustment is in inches per hundred yards vs true MOA.
I guess I'd have to say the VX6 is best if you're really into well designed turrets, otherwise the Z5 could be a great hunting option for dialing ranges out to around 800 yards, the after market turrets are decent but you'll have 13 MOA per revolution instead of 20 on the vx6

Athlon ares in 2.5x15x50mm. It's FFP though. They make a Midas in SFP, but not sure on the lowest power setting.

The leupold VX Patrols are really nice as well. Looks like to me they would make an excellent hunting scope.

I have owned a z5 3.5-18x44. It was sharp glass but it seemed to lack a touch of low light performance. I am interested in trying the z6 3-18 x50. I am also curious about the new Conquest series. My current favorite scopes are the discontinued Helia CL Kahles.

I went with a Leupold VX6 on my 300wm and love it. I have had no problems with the repeatability of the turrets. That being said, I will be going with a NF NXS on this rifle very soon and switching the VX6 over to my new light weight 300wsm.

I have more than a few scopes. This last year, I pulled a Leopold VX-2, 3x9 off another rifle and put it on a Steyr 30-06, just to work up a load. It did so well, l left it on. Plain deplex reticle, less than 12 ounces. Holds zero and if I can remember to bring a coin along, it dials a solution just fine. The coin adjustment turrets are pretty hick and I may or may not do something about that! The duplex reticle is a bit heavy for most people but you can see it in the timber and against dark objects. I put a paper plate at just under 500 yards, dialed up a solution and put 4 shots in 4 inches off my tailgate and a fairly shaky set up. It cracked me up how well it did.

Anyway, something you can dial that's reliable with accurate adjustments (you'll need to test and verify those). A plain jane duplex reticle and a 40mm objective is a nice trim and simple package. You mentioned scabbard. You may well want low turrets with caps. Leopold makes something like that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.