Scope rail that allows use of iron sights?

elgatodeacero

Hello all,

First post, but I have read many good articles in the forum.

I have a new Winchester Alaskan Model 70 .30-06 and it is avery nice looking and handling rifle. Not as nice as the pre-war Model 70 I bought and sold off in college, but how could I have known!

Model 70 Alaskan

My new Model 70 Alaskan has very nice wood, great bluing, and iron sights. It shoots very well so far with 58.0 grains of Norma MRP and 180 grain Nosler Partitions (the 180 grain Nosler e-tip were also fairly accurate at 59.0 grains and seated a bit longer).

I would like to mount a scope, likely a Trijicon 1x6x24 30mm Accupoint, but keep use of the iron sights if scope is detached -

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200095

ideally this would be on a picatinny rail so I could mount a red dot or whatever I feel like, but I am having a hard time locating a quality scope rail that has a cut or trough that allows me to see iron sights when scope detached but mounting rail is still on the gun.

Any possible mounting solutions are acceptable, including non-picatinny rails and scope rings, proprietary mounts, or really any mounting system that will allow me to remove scope and still use irons. Conetrol, Talley, Burris, Leupold, Nightforce, Badger, or other good product is acceptable if it is good quality or better. Aluminum or steel is probably fine either way? I would prefer some sort of quick detach mechanism and keeping weight down.

Thanks for your ideas.

El Gato

Well, I have discovered the answer.

The nightforce steel picatinny rail, item 196a, will allow you to see the iron sights on this winchester.

This rail has a channel cut down middle that is unique among steel rails I found.

This rail has a 20 moa cant built in, which is not needed on this set up, but it is not available for the Winchester 70 in a zero cant model.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.