Scope options?

Keep in mind the BIG NF scopes are pretty heavy and NOT well suited to a rifle your gonna carry all day long, but they do have a compact model.

For long hunting why would you not take a Nightforce into ther field, jeez

I humped the Nightforce on my 300 win as hard as I could to get into postion to take the doe at 777 yards

fa7vxj.jpg

I humped it up the mountain with my 338 Lapua with a S&B 5X25X56 (it's huge)

to take this buck at 587

Picture061-1.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture059.jpg

As a long range hunter you are attempting to take a wild animal at long range to be sucessful you better be willing to hump the best equipment into the field or find another way to take game

Saying a Nightforce is too heavy too take into the shows a lack of knowledge as it pertains to long range hunting I suggest you do a a bit morelearn and a bit less giving advice

Last edited:
Your right, you owe to the animals your hunting to buy the best that money can buy!

What bases and rings do you have on that rig?

I have Nightforce rings and bases on the 300 win and I have Seekins rings and bases on the 338 Lapua

How long have you had your rifles? Did it take a long time to get used to the system?

I bought my firsrt Nightforce in 2004. No it didn't take very long. but I shot a lot to get used to the system/ The Nighforce NXS scopes are tank tough and have very reliable adjusts. are time tested with as good of customer service as one could possiable want IMHO

Depending on your preference either a NXS 3.5X15 or a 5.5X22

I use the 3.5X15 on my 300 win and I like it a lot

Thanks for all of your help. I'll be picking your ear for more info. later if thats okay?

For long hunting why would you not take a Nightforce into ther field, jeez

I humped the Nightforce on my 300 win as hard as I could to get into postion to take the doe at 777 yards

fa7vxj.jpg

I humped it up the mountain with my 338 Lapua with a S&B 5X25X56 (it's huge)

to take this buck at 587

Picture061-1.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture059.jpg

As a long range hunter you are attempting to take a wild animal at long range to be sucessful you better be willing to hump the best equipment into the field or find another way to take game

Saying a Nightforce is too heavy too take into the shows a lack of knowledge as it pertains to long range hunting I suggest you do a a bit morelearn and a bit less giving advice

Maybe IF you weren't carrying such a heavy rifle(because of a 2 lb scope) you could have actually covered MORE ground and shot a REAL Deer instead of a bambi.

But lets not get into a p****ng match....I didn't say that it wouldn't work....I was simply advising that the BIG NF are heavy....and there is compact models available.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/08-sw-sask-mule-deer-hunt-accubond-rocks-35650/

Last edited:
Shows how little that you acctualy know, compact and a quality reliable long range hunting scope do not go hand in hand.

Perhaps if you knew that you could make a long shot on game

I caan cover a whole lot more ground with quality optics, than you can hoofing it around with some light wieght scope. This is a LONG RANGE HUNTING site and that is what we are about. If you want to talk light wieght stalking rifles and scopes you've come to the wrong site for that

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.