scope options

skuna

looking for my first long range scope to go on a 300 rum semi custom.

I have narrowed it down to 3 or 4 options.

#1 option is of course a nightforce but after spending $2k on this build, It will take a while before I can go that route.

#2 option is Leupold mark 4 - but with the price of a new one being close to what a NF is, it could also be a while before I could pick up of these up.

#3 option is Vortex Viper PST - could probably get this down as soon as rifle is complete

#4 option is Bushnell 6500 - really leaning this route since a 4.5-30 power is available and like the PST can go it done as soon as the rifle is ready.

Any thoughts on the Bushnell? or any other options.....?

thanks,

Last edited:
I put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with target turrets on both my long range 300 ultra and 338 ultra. Very happy with this scope. Excellent repeatable tracking and very clear glass.

I would look at the Super Sniper scopes from SWFA, the have a new 5.5-20x HD that the guys on snipers hide are saying is an awesome scope for the money. If you get in on the group buy, I think you can get one for $999.

I bought a Sightron S3 8-32x56 last year, the glass is great and the tracking is repeatable. However, last month I was adjusting the elevation for an 800 yard shot and the turret got stuck. I pulled the turret cover off and discovered that the internal gears were out of alignment. I sent the scope back to Sightron for repair, after 3 weeks I called the service center to check on the status and was informed that the repairs were not done because I would first need to make a $68.00 payment. The manager claimed that the scope was "hit with extreme force" thus causing the internal damage. He went on to say that the warranty would not be honored because the damage was caused by negligence. I have the scope mounted on a 7mm and have shot it all of 5 times, I keep the rifle in a hard case and it has NEVER been so much as bumped.. The manager refused to honor the warranty, and despite promises from the customer service department, I did not get the scope back in time for hunting season. If you want a company that stands behind their warranty, I would advise anyone to avoid Sightron. After spending $900 on a scope it really sucks to be called a liar by the companies manager. Buy a leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss, or whatever. Just make sure you go with a company that treats you with respect, and honors the warranty on their products.

The nice thing about Leupold is that they honor their warranty with no whining and with prompt service even if you didn't buy the scope new. I'm losing track but I believe I have at least 6 Mark 4 scopes only one of which I bought new and none of the used ones cost $1,000 and several have illuminated reticles.

I had one experience with Bushnell warranty service. I had one of their scopes on a handgun and it broke. They refused to honor their warranty saying it had been "abused." I have to admit, my handguns are of the heavy recoil type and hard on scopes but when I broke two Thompson/Center handgun scopes, they were replaced each time with new ones. I've also broken two or three Leupold handgun scopes and each time they were repaired promptly at no charge.

+1 on Leupold or Zeiss, I have both, and like each of them. The Leupold I use more for "target" work and long range coyotes, and the Zeiss Z-800 for hunting deer/elk,etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.