Scope options

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I've done a bit of looking here and on other sites and have found lots of info. This is for you who love to talk about their equipment. I bought a Vortex Viper HS-T 6x24x50 and it's fuzzy at 500 yards. Would be very difficult to see a sitting coyote in tall grass. Wasn't expecting to see that from this scope but maybe that's the a $600 price range problem. Will be contacting Vortex about it later this week to see if there is some user error there or something.

I'm therefore thinking of selling a few scopes and making the jump to the $1000 price range. I'm seeing the Zeiss Conquest HD5 or a custom Leupold VX-3 both in the 6x24x50 ball park. I've heard that the VX-3's aren't much better glass than the Vipers so not sure about going Leupold and could save a bit on the Zeiss by going with a demo. The scope will go on a 7mm RM.

I would like some experienced hunter's comments to the following:
1. Optical clarity: which lens provides the most optical clarity at long range? Clear focus at long ranges and clear edges both at maximum power. Light transmission at dawn an dusk.
2. Turret ergonomics: Would go with the M1 Leupold turrets as they are easier to get a handle on. The Zeiss is low profile but one turn would get me out to 800 yards even with the limited zero stop feature.
3. Turret tracking: I've read that both brands track well but Leupold can have issues over time (wearing out?).
4. Reticle selection: Since starting to dial elevation and windage, which I love doing, I don't see the need for a busy hash or BDC reticle. Simple fine duplex would follow this line of thinking.

You want to see at long range in a light weight and compact scope check out the 4.5 X 30 Bushnell Elite. I have two. One on a 338 RUM and the other a 300 RUM. I paid around $800. I've got 600 rounds down the tube on the 338 and the scope just keeps on ticking. The scope is clear and bright on any zoom setting. Bushnell provides a "lifetime" warranty but I've heard that their customer service sucks though I've never had to use it. The fine multi-X reticle is uncluttered. It has covered turrets which I prefer and they are very nice to dial. The pop up to zero is great too. There is a review posted on here if you want the full details.

Thanks, I'll look at that one. Unfortunately, I have had only bad experiences, yes plural, with Bushnell's CS and am hesitant to buy from them again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.