Scope for 6.5 Creedmoor

Walker1

I am in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor with my Savage .243. I want to be able to shoot long range out to 1k yards. This will be my first longrange rifle. What would be good scopes to match this?

Will be using it for both. Hunt mostly coyote at longer range but still be able to use it for antelope at long range. Would also like to get into longe range target practice.

If you dont mind a fixed power the SWFA SS 10x cant be beat for the price but for a rifle that will be used mainly for hunting I would look at a variable like the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMOA or Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS. SWFA also has the SS 5-20x50 HD if your pockets are deep enough and you can wait a while.

I'm going to suggest the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50. I also suggest that you get a second focal plane reticle. My reasoning is that for targets out at nearly 1K the reticle becomes too thick in the FFP scopes. I happen to have a Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP MOA and I am getting a second scope with SFP just for that reason. I love the scope and I love the FFP out to about 600 yds. After that I long for the SFP (so I am getting one). Yes, you can hit a steel plate at 1K with a 10X but if you really want to see what you are hitting and don't have 20/10 vision you will want the extra magnification. It sounds like you won't be shooting closer than 100 yds which is where the lower power would be good for the low end. So, for 100 - 1000 I suggest the 6-24X50Viper PST is a great scope and power selection.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Vortex PST. I was wondering the difference of the FFP and SFP. I am pretty sure my brother can get me a good deal on the Vortex too. I just have to figure out how to use the scope.

My three favorite LR scopes I have in use are the...

Bushnell 6500 4-30 Tact

Bushnell 4200 6-24 Tact

Vortex PST 6-24 SFP MOA......

these are mounted on LR target/p-dog guns.....non carry.......15-18#

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.