Scope dillema w/ Savage 11 LRH 6.5 Creedmoor

chowder

Ok, I'm green at this LRH stuff but starting to get out to 400 yds w/ my Savage 12 22-250 heavy/ 50mm Mueller eraticator glass combo and I'm realizing 2 things:

1. 400 yards is a pretty long shot on a NY dairy farm and might be my 'terminal' yardage for a few years at least.

2. I need to get started working with my new deer rifle at this yardage as soon as it comes in because once spring arrives I'm very busy with crop season and salmon fishing. The rifle is a Savage 11 LRH 6.5 Creedmoor.

So, here's the dillemma; I traded my Winchester 70 XTR Sporter/Bushnell Banner combo towards my new Savage 11 LRH and flat out lack the cabbage to put the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 on it that would probably really make this rifle 'sing'. If realistically I'm only gonna be shooting out to 400 yards for several years what is my best scope choice for $400 or a bit more? If you think I'm looking at this the wrong way then go ahead & tell me, I'm here to learn. Thanks!

Here is a scope you may want to look at, a Nitrex by Weaver TR2 4-20x50mm side focus with pullup target type turrets. Its discontinued, so price is reduced and Nitrex has a $100 rebate on this scope that has been extended till March 31. It is basically a Weaver Super Slam scope, same optics and internals and with rebate the Nitrex version is less than 1/2 the price. Japanese optics in it is darn good and adjustments track well. Have 2 Nitrex TR2s and my fellow shooters at range have been very impressed with its glass and features. Only two complaints I've read about the Nitrex TR2s is the weight...on heavy side so not the scope you'd want for a light carry rifle. Also, Nitrex has one illuminated reticle model and some complaints posted on problems with the illuminated reticle not working. Other than that, its buyers like me have been very satisfied with the scope. By the way, Nitrex has a lifetime warranty and Weaver will handle it since Weaver and Nitrex both owned by ATK, a company that also owns Speer, CCI, Alliant, Outers, Federal Cartridge and etc. Here is only website with this scope to sell where you can get the rebate too.

Nitrex TR Two 4-20X50mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR Two 4-20X50mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

hey fellow creedmoor shooter. i have a new savage model 12 lrp and have a sweet scope combo on it. a super sniper scope from swfa in 16x. the best thing is there only 300.00. im from central n.y. and if you want to take a look at it i travel all over n.y. as a salesman , so give me a reply

Everyone is different but I need very little power magnification for shooting deer at 400 yards. There are lots of good scopes in that price range. Weaver, Bushnell, Vortex just to name a few.

I would make a list of the features you want first and then start shopping. Otherwise you will get overwhelmed with the options very quickly!

I sure like the SS (Super Sniper) 3-9x42. Great glass, great retilce, rock solid and repeatable turrets, and tough as nails.

Scot E

I would be looking at Vortex Vipers and Sightron 3's. And unless I was totally concerned
with total over all weight on the gun ( which with a Savage you probably aren't) I would
be looking at either of those scopes before a Lupy anyway. A lot less money and equal to
or better than Leupold in some respects.

OOps pressed the wrong button.

Anyway, within the range and use you described a little lower power range will be a fine optic. Above 10x AOs become customary (read: extra $$), not to mention that heat shimmer,even on cold days, and the visible heartbeat-wobble become frustrating issues.

And you need the magnification above 10x for what?? Zeroed for 200yd and going for the rear edge of the shoulder blade ridge any 400 yd target will require dialing in the extra elevation or holding over. In both cases the cross hairs will be in exactly the same place whether you are looking through 9x, 10x or even 16x glass.

Check out your local Nikon Monarch dealer. Great value and performance for me so far.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.