Scope for 1000+

The Shotty, have you looked through any of the Leupold VX-6's, they have some pretty nice glass, the 3-18 power runs about $1000! my problem is half the guys out there don't take these scopes outside to look in real life light conditions, and even more the dusk and dawn hours to really see what is what!

The Shotty, have you looked through any of the Leupold VX-6's, they have some pretty nice glass, the 3-18 power runs about $1000! my problem is half the guys out there don't take these scopes outside to look in real life light conditions, and even more the dusk and dawn hours to really see what is what!
I've looked through a whole lot of scopes from cheap Bushnell's, VXI's, Tasco etc all the way up to USO and S&B.

Nothing I've seen matches the glass and quality of the VX6 for anything near the same money.

Are you suggesting shooting past legal light? :)

I just took a sii big sky 3.5-10x42mm (about 1/3 the price) and could glass a car about 200yds away. I could have shot the side mirror off, but I could not even see the entire car with my bare eyes. At what point is it worth the money and still ethical? Don't get me wrong, great glass is a thing of beauty but it definitely means more to some than others.

I just took a sii big sky 3.5-10x42mm (about 1/3 the price) and could glass a car about 200yds away. I could have shot the side mirror off, but I could not even see the entire car with my bare eyes. At what point is it worth the money and still ethical? Don't get me wrong, great glass is a thing of beauty but it definitely means more to some than others.
Ethics is a subject that is not generally welcome here but ask yourself this.

Do you feel more or less comfortable shooting a game animal at long range you can't quite make out sharply and cleanly or one you can count points on at a 1000yds?

I thought the entire point of this thread was to buy a scope for shots in excess of 1000yds?

Not much action in the optic forum so I moved this here.

I'm looking for a scope to go beyond 1000yds w/ 300wm yet I want to keep weight to 22oz max and 24x max, though I am not sure I need that high of magnification. I'm torn between a few scopes and I'm not sure which may be the best option as they all have pros and cons. ...
What changed?

Ethics is a subject that is not generally welcome here but ask yourself this.

Do you feel more or less comfortable shooting a game animal at long range you can't quite make out sharply and cleanly or one you can count points on at a 1000yds?

I thought the entire point of this thread was to buy a scope for shots in excess of 1000yds?

What changed?

If ethics are not welcome here then neither am I. Call me crazy but the last time I checked shooting beyond legal light is illegal, and my previous example was well after legal light.

If I were trophy hunting and paying a guide an arm and a leg for him to hunt for me while I just pull the trigger I guess it would matter. At that point in time I would verify through a spotting scope. Otherwise it doesn't take much to verify a legal buck. Elk may be a little more difficult, but beyond about 900 is non ethical due to lack of energy, so again less of an issue.

Nothing has changed, this is still a 1000yd+ scope thread and so far the topic has been about scopes.

If ethics are not welcome here then neither am I. Call me crazy but the last time I checked shooting beyond legal light is illegal, and my previous example was well after legal light.

If I were trophy hunting and paying a guide an arm and a leg for him to hunt for me while I just pull the trigger I guess it would matter. At that point in time I would verify through a spotting scope. Otherwise it doesn't take much to verify a legal buck. Elk may be a little more difficult, but beyond about 900 is non ethical due to lack of energy, so again less of an issue.

Nothing has changed, this is still a 1000yd+ scope thread and so far the topic has been about scopes.
If you spend much time actually in the woods you'll quickly find that there are many occasions in the fall and winter when even in the middle of the day you are shooting in very low light conditions, particularly in tall forests.

When you get some experience shooting beyond a thousand yards you'll understand why people want bigger objectives than 40mm and more than 10x on max power.

If you want to discuss the policy here about discussing ethics I suggest you email our host. His house, his rules.

Is this the scope you are intent on buying?
Sightron SII Big Sky 3.5-10x42 Rifle Scope (SIIB351042)

You are seriously planning to shoot game at over 1,000yds with a scope that doesn't even have adjustable parallax?

Specifications

Model (Finish/Reticle) SIIB351042 (satin black/duplex)
Magnification 3.5-10 x
Object Diameter 42 mm
Eye Relief 3.8-4.1 in
Click Value 1/4 MOA
FOV 29.3-10 in
Length 12.6 in
Tube Diameter 1 in
Windage Elevation Travel 70 in
Weight 13.4 oz
Minutes Per Revolution 15
Target Knobs No
Sunshade Included No
Lens Cover Included Yes
Windage Elevation Knobs Finger adjustable (Resetable)
Adjustable Objective No (parallax 100 Yards)
Fully Multi Coated Yes (Zact-7 TM 7-Layer)
I seriously think you need to reconsider before actually ordering it as you are about to find that you have wasted your money on a scope that simply is not up to the task otherwise.

I agree WildRose, the VX-6's are to me great for the money, there was a VX-6 4-24 that just sold on this site for $950, great buy! To Ohiohnter, I agree with you on the ethics and I'd like to think a lot of people feel the same, after all if we don't have those our hunting and shooting world won't be around forever! back to shooting after dark, it's legal in Montana to coyote hunt all through the night! Not that I'll be shooting coyotes at 1000yds at night! (Due to my spot light won't reach that far) but I will say I've hunted and seen a lot of animals right at first and especially at last light that I was glad I had a pair of swarovski bino's and a scope to see what was what!

I agree WildRose, the VX-6's are to me great for the money, there was a VX-6 4-24 that just sold on this site for $950, great buy! To Ohiohnter, I agree with you on the ethics and I'd like to think a lot of people feel the same, after all if we don't have those our hunting and shooting world won't be around forever! back to shooting after dark, it's legal in Montana to coyote hunt all through the night! Not that I'll be shooting coyotes at 1000yds at night! (Due to my spot light won't reach that far) �� but I will say I've hunted and seen a lot of animals right at first and especially at last light that I was glad I had a pair of swarovski bino's and a scope to see what was what!
Same here. All predators and varmints are legal at night. If we couldn't hog hunt at night with spotlights they'd have probably carried the whole state off by 2000.

If I'd seen that VX6 I would have probably bought it, that's dirt cheap for a VX-6.

I have both the 4-24x50's and the 3-18x50's and love them. If I had to choose between them and the IOR Tacticals I'd honestly have a really hard time deciding although in the end I'd probably go with the Leupold just because it's a US made product.

YA that was a sweet deal, he still has a 3x18 VX-6 for $850 for sale On page 2 of optics for sale! I'm just undecided what I want, but I'm thinking the 4-24 is what I'll go with over the 6-18. 4 power is still low enough for me in thick timber!

Is this the scope you are intent on buying?
Sightron SII Big Sky 3.5-10x42 Rifle Scope (SIIB351042)

You are seriously planning to shoot game at over 1,000yds with a scope that doesn't even have adjustable parallax?

I seriously think you need to reconsider before actually ordering it as you are about to find that you have wasted your money on a scope that simply is not up to the task otherwise.

No. Moving on I've read countless issues w/ leupolds tracking and I have yet to like any of their reticles. Unless its a deal I cannot pass up on a vx6 TMR then I could care less.

Just to clarify, per the original post, it is highly unlikely I'll be shooting at game beyond 1k, unless you consider rocks game.

No. Moving on I've read countless issues w/ leupolds tracking and I have yet to like any of their reticles. Unless its a deal I cannot pass up on a vx6 TMR then I could care less.

Just to clarify, per the original post, it is highly unlikely I'll be shooting at game beyond 1k, unless you consider rocks game.
The question was "is this the scope you are buying" referring to the link and specs I provided.

You realize you will not be able to resolve a target beyond 100yds due to the parallax being fixed at 100yds do you not?

Without parallax adjustment you'll be lucky to get within 3-4 MOA of a target at 1000yds much less beyond.

I've never seen or heard of any tracking issues with a VX6 from any credible source. Do you have any links to same?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.