< $1000 600 meter scope

I agree. For my use, the NP-R2 is an ideal reticle. It is fine enough for marmot shooting at 600 yards, and the illumination makes it just the ticket in low light.

So it's between the

Zeiss Conquest 4.5 - 14 X 44mm
Vortex Viper HS 4 - 16x44mm

I'm guessing that there is very little actual differance between these scopes? 14X is more than enough for my use, being rugged and well made is more important, my scopes do take a bit of a beating at times.

I can say from experience you can't go wrong with the Zeiss. The optical qualities are outstanding, especially when you consider it is medium priced glass.
The Vortex gets great reviews, but I have never used one so no help there.

I don't have a gun store within 5 hours of me that his these scopes in stock to compare. The only negative i have heard is the thickness of the ziess recticle.

Can't help you regarding the rapid z reticles. All 3 of my Conquests' had duplex reticles.
From all the good reports I have heard regarding the Vortex I would guess you would have a very good scope with that choice as well.
Have you Googled something like "zeiss conquest vs Vortex...." Probably some good reviews and comparisons out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.