School me on spherical/ ball powder. Ramshot magnum in particular.

I prefer to use extruded powders but with the current component emergency use ball powder alternatives. Going thru my notes and target library the best results have been with extruded powders like IMR8208, VN140, VN165, RL16, RL23, H4350, H1000, IMR7977. Some of these extruded powders are double base containing nitroglycerin. Shortages of those have led to using H414/W760, CFE223, R-S Hunter, R-S Magnum, AA2230, AA2520, Win StaBall, AL PP4000MR (looks sort of extruded), AL PPVarmint.

I remember a H414/W760 load I developed for a .22-.250 with 75 ELDM bullets - great results, about 1 1/2 inch groups at 300 at 3,200 fps using some W760 "orphan" LGS powder & H414 powder from my LGS. At 95*, sticky bolt lifts & heavily cratered primers & expanded primer pockets using this W760/H414 load. Many trophy sized rodents were spared that blazing hot morning.

I use R-S Magnum in my 6mm-06 with good results, about 3,200 fps with 105's, but have no plans to use it at 95* & I would prefer to use H1000. R-S Hunter works very well in my 6.5X47 Lapua, same temperature planning.

I don't think any extruded powders are made in the USA, just ball powders. Ball powders measure great, increased density for allowing more powder in small capacity cases, are double base containing nitroglycerin (more energy) and some are made in the USA. Possibly OSHA regulations prevent extruded powder from being made in the USA. The spherical shape most likely due to surface tension unless rolled or extruded (4000MR) for some reason. Part of the ball powder manufacturing process might be done underwater. I have no plans to visit a powder plant.

StaBall is now available & hopefully will equal 4000MR & do well with max loads at 95* plus. I think R-S Magnum might be too slow for the 6.5 CM, 4000MR might be worth a try in the 6.5CM. R-S Magnum works good in a 6.5-06 with 140's.

My observations with ball powders are that max pressures are more abruptly reached and this may or not be caused by higher densities.

Edit:

PP4000MR has replaced all my W760/H414 powder use - 4000MR works well in .22-.250 to .300WM and in addition 4000MR is sort of available. I just tossed about 50 grains of 5 year old H414 that might have produced 1 complete .22-.250 load.

Last edited:
I think everyone who has tried StaBall agrees great velocity but holy cow does it ramp up FAST! IMO this is not a powder to ladder jump by a grain. Extra Caution is necessary with it.

The one aspect of ball powder is the ability to manage case capacity or load density especially with Hammers.

Great loads with 4000MR but not quite as good as RL26 but dang close.

I've had great luck with StaBall 6.5 in my 6.5 CM's. Win 760 was close to it but would give the edge to the StaBall 6.5.
With that said, R16,17 and H4350 have been even better.

Yes, ball powder is messy but you can pick up a billet powder cup to help with ball powder being everywhere

I will say that IF you happen to spill extruded powder from a case NBD. BUT with ball HOLY COW MESS! Just saying! Seems I spill ball powder in case once too many times! I can tie small flies but somehow spill cases!

To dispel thoughts that I don't like W760/H414, I have to mention great results with W760/H414 in my old (regret selling it) .30-06 with 155 grain Barnes Match burners on steel up to 1,100 yards. It did so well I was presented with an offer that I was unable to refuse and now some other guy is using it, but hopefully not on a hot day.

Recent Posts