Ramshot Magnum powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by steelersfan, Mar 27, 2006.

1. steelersfan

steelersfan Member

Has anyone tried the Ramshot Magnum powder in the 25-06 or the 25-06AI. It seems to me that the data is limited other than from Ramshot. I load for a 25-06AI and I am using 7828 S/C and Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips and the load works well but the thought of a powder that measures better and isn't as temperature sensitive sounds good. There doesn't seem to be anyone within 150 miles that handles it so I will have to pay the hazmat which I don't mind if I think it will work good for me. Appreciate hearing from anyone who uses it or has used it with good or bad results.

2. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

If your shooting 100 grain bullets in 25-06 you don't have enough case capacity to use anything much slower burning than 7828. That S/C powder just spits out of my RCBS electronic measure.

Have you tried R-22. You would use about 1.5 less grains of R-22 than 7828 and my chrono speeds were nearly identicle

3. steelersfan

steelersfan Member

I am loading the 25-06 AI and seem to have plenty of room, in fact that was one of the reasons I was thinking about the Magnum powder. Even though its a ball powder its slow enough that I should be able to come closer to filling the case and still keeping the pressure down. I tried the RL22 but in my rifle the accuracy wasn't as good and again it left more room in the case.

4. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

Yes the AI hold @ 7 more grains of powder than a normal 25-06. Without a chrono it's guess work. Go ahead and try ram shot and maybe even H-1000.

I'm able to use H-1000 in my 270AI with 150 and 169.5 grain bullets because I have 29 inches to burn it up.

5. steelersfan

steelersfan Member

Thanks for the input, I think I will give the Ramshot Magnum powder a try. I have a chronograph but unless I seem to have pressure problems I usually look for the accuracy I want before I check the speed. I had my 25-06AI built by Hill Country Rifles in Texas and had them put a 28 inch Lilja barrel on it to help with the slower burning powders.

6. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Steelersfan,

You don't happen to do any shark fishin in your spare time do ya?

Also what area do you live in, gimme a holler and I might be able to hook you up with some of the Ramshot powders.