Scary incident at the range

Thanks to all for the responses. I do own 300 black although not shooting it that day. I am going to assume that somehow a 300 BO round got dropped in with the 556 ammo previously. My bad for missing it when I loaded the mag. I am lucky and humbled by the experience. Ashamed to say that I assumed a 300 blackout would not chamber in 556. Definitely a learning experience. Attention to detail is the key.
I commend you for admitting your error. We are human, and no one is perfect; Murphy does not discriminate. Like others who have read and comprehended this thread, we are all thankful you were OK, learned a valuable lesson, and shared your lived experience with us. You are a better person than most in doing so.

Celebrate Perfect Game GIF by YES Network

I have a fascination with firearms that has lasted for almost 50 years.
I am enlightened by this thread
I never imagined a 30 caliber projectile to travel through a 22 caliber barrel
Glad the Op is ok as I learned from the thread.

Hmmm-- 50 bmg in a 223?

Just kidding-- I actually read the WHOLE thread, and what I thought happened actually did.

The ar design is actually supposed to do exactly what it did to the op when over pressured-- the "excess gas/pressure" vents down through the magwell-- the carrier and sometimes the upper receiver will often banana...it's a safety "device" built into the design

Paint the primers, paint the tip, wrap the mag and magwell in matching tape colors just in case you aren't actually trying to kill yourself! It's obvious some shooters ust don't know what they're doing and are bound to blow out an eye, or blow off a few fingers... if they're lucky. These guys are Pelosi's best advertisement. Get it together guys, we don't have time for dumbshyt!

Omg. It will chamber and "headspace" off the body taper.
Guess it's like the 20 ga into a 12 ga shotgun problem we've been taught.
The SAAMI spec writers must have see this, right?
Have a personal experience with 20ga. Chambered in a 12ga. Many years ago my son who was 10yrs old at the time and myself just completed a hunter safety course and he noticed my brother-in-law had chambered and attempted to fire a 20ga shotshell in his 12ga pump. When it didn't fire he pumped a 12ga round right behind it. My son started screaming at him about what he had done and fortunately convinced him to check it out. My brother-in-law thanked him and me for taking that course. I had no hesitation when I was later asked by the state to take the instructors course and be a volunteer hunter safety instructor which I gladly taught thousands over the next 20yrs. You are never to old or to young to learn. You might save a life.

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
That Bullet was swaged to be so long. It is definitely the wrong caliber.