Savage ultralight 110

If I go with 1" vs. 30MM, I can shave a few more, but I am OK with it.
30mm tube is over rated IMO. 1in tube with high quality glass is more than is needed for a LR hunting rifle. A high quality 1in tube will have plenty of adjustment to take you out to 600+ yards and the light gathering is all about glass quality/coatings and not tube size.

I can look through my vx3i 4.5-14x40 with 1in tube and my vx3i 4.5-14x50 with 30mm tube at dawn/dusk and I can't tell you the difference in either one, although one is 1in/40mm and the other is 30mm/50mm. The reason being is that the glass quality/coating is the same in both.

Last edited:
30mm tube is over rated IMO. 1in tube with high quality glass is more than is needed for a LR hunting rifle. A high quality 1in tube will have plenty of adjustment to take you out to 600+ yards and the light gathering is all about glass quality/coatings and not tube size.
That is your own personal opinion. This boils down to personal preference and "actual" end-users' quality of vision. You cannot generalize this rule because what might work for you might not work for others. The bottom-line, end-users need to determine what is best for their eyesight and intended application. All of my 1" scopes are on my .22 LRs.

That is your own personal opinion. This boils down to personal preference and "actual" end-users' quality of vision. You cannot generalize this rule because what might work for you might not work for others. The bottom-line, end-users need to determine what is best for their eyesight and intended application. All of my 1" scopes are on my

That is your own personal opinion. This boils down to personal preference and "actual" end-users' quality of vision. You cannot generalize this rule because what might work for you might not work for others. The bottom-line, end-users need to determine what is best for their eyesight and intended application. All of my 1" scopes are on my .22 LRs.
Of course it is and thats why I put IMO in the first sentence.. That also goes for the comment about reducing optical performance by using a 1in vs 30mm that you agreed to. Using a 30mm doesn't automatically mean better optical performance

I think the most advantage in the 30mm tube is elevation adjustment ( provided optic quality is equal). I do think my Leupold 30mm vs my 1" tube scopes are a little better in light transmission but probably because they are different model scopes. I still prefer 30mm scopes. Even if it's just a preference issue. I do shoot them at LR and the 30/34s rule for maximum internal elevation.

Of course and thats why I put IMO in the first sentence.. That also goes for the comment about reducing optical performance by using a 1in vs 30mm that you agreed to. Using a 30mm doesn't automatically mean better optical performance
For me it is, I am left eye-dominant (LASIK for distance) but shoot right-handed. The right eye is uncorrected for reading. I have done all my personal assessments between the two and a quality 30MM is better than a quality 1" for "my" vision and purpose, esp. in low light conditions.

For me it is, I am left eye-dominant (LASIK for distance) but shoot right-handed. The right eye is uncorrected for reading. I have done all my personal assessments between the two and a quality 30MM is better than a quality 1" for "my" vision and purpose, esp. in low light conditions.
Perfect

Well so far the Savage is very disappointing. It grouping more like a shotgun than a rifle. Best group has been right under 1moa at 100y with most hovering around 1.5moa. I guess its time to bed the stock and see if that improves anything. Best group as of now is with Superformance (44.5) and 140 berger hybrids

Attachments

• 20201219_164844.jpg
    20201219_164844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Well so far the Savage is very disappointing. It grouping more like a shotgun than a rifle. Best group has been right under 1moa at 100y with most hovering around 1.5moa. I guess its time to bed the stock and see if that improves anything. Best group as of now is with Superformance (44.5) and 140 berger hybrids
Is it a new rifle? How many rounds through it?

62 rounds through it

"I" would not waste 5-shots, do 3-shots instead until you have determined the potential of your load development.

View attachment 234574
I load 5 shot groups but if the first 3 don't group decent I stop and pull the bullets. If the first 3 group decent I shoot the other 2. I said shooting "5" in prior post but most groups haven't made it that far yet

Before bedding the stock, if you haven't tried Berger's seat depth load development procedure, I'd try it. Could make the difference your hoping for. I'd do the bedding after that regardless of the outcome.

Before bedding the stock, if you haven't tried Berger's seat depth load development procedure, I'd try it. Could make the difference your hoping for. I'd do the bedding after that regardless of the outcome.
I did the "hunting " load work up but didn't seem to make much diffrence. Although they did seem to shoot a little better up close. I think I'm going to try seating them at the lands just to see if it makes a big change. Other than that I believe it's about time to bed and poss trash the bergers ?