Savage Bedding Help

dirtking

Hello Everyone!
I just got done bedding my new 338 edge built on a savage la. Have done one other savage rifle and it turned out well. Did everything the same as far as taping the barrel to center and set the action to the right height. Action popped out good and hot it all cleaned up. Let it fully cure and when I set the action in the stock it fits like a glove but when I tighten the rear action screw it takes awhile to bottom out and produces gaps on the side of the stock at the rear. Front screw bottoms out and torques up fast. Looking for advice as to what would cause this. I floated the tang area when I bedded it like everyone suggests. Sorry for the long post just trying to give all info I can!

Thanks!
Chance

What stock?
Any pillars holding it up?

I found with my laminated factory stock (which has those thinwall inserts) that I have to torque the rear screw to only 25 in-lbs else it will start to pull the rear of the action down. Front can go up to 45, but not the rear.

Unfortunately unless there is a big pillar in there, it's just a bad location for a fastener.

Same stock I've got.

Try 35-45 front and only 25 in-lbs rear.
And if you don't have a torque screwdriver like the FAT wrench now is the time to get one. :)

If your pillars are flat topped...cut some thin ...THIN sheet metal shims ( and punch a hole in them with a paper punch) and insert them

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.