Savage Help?

MONTADO76

A friend of mine has a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 win. It's mounted in a Choate Tactical stock.The problem is it will not group under about 8" at 100 yards. To date the base, rings, and action have all been checked for tightness and torqued to proper specs. As far as ammo, we have tried 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 168 Nosler CC, 175 Nosler CC, and Silver State Armory 175 gr. You would think at least one of these would give a halfway decent group. Any thing else we should/could check? Thanks
By the way, I did a search, but nothing other than torquing the action was found.

Put it back in the puke green stock it came in and try it. Btw please don't tell me it has a <100$ chinese optic on top of it. Could be a bad barrel, but I have yet to find a savage 308 that wouldn't shoot 1" or less, usually way less, like .2-.4"

It is pretty a bad group.

I suspected that the crosshair is damaged.
Not only that, perhaps some shooters jerked the trigger too quickly (with expectation). Try pull the trigger nicely.

Make sure that the tang of the action (the rearmost part where the safety is) or the barrel aren't touching the stock. You should be able to slide a business card under the tang and the barrel should have a pretty healthy gap. If it's making contact your groups will be terrible.

Andrew

One more thing, make sure the thread protector is tight, can cause bad harmonics, not to the tune of 8" groups, but not floating the tang or barrel won't even make one shoot that bad. I figure the guts of your scope are going dancing every time you let one loose.

No, he put a VortexHSLR 4-16x44 on it. And that was our next move was to put the factory stock back on and try. It does have a gap at the tang, because at first it looked odd to me, being from the Remington Camp. Thanks for the help though. I almost forgot, his Vortex has the top most subtention bent over, so it's going in for repair. We did put my old SWFA Super Sniper on the rifle, and had the same results.

To put this in perspective, that is a worse group than I got with an M24/47 Yugoslavian Mauser in 8x57, shooting 1955 Yugoslavian corrosive ammo with iron sights. The trigger had about a 1/2" pull at about 12lb and the bore was so rusted and pitted one couldn't even see rifling and black as coal.

I agree with the others that your sighting system is broken. With a working scope you should be no worse than 2" with about the worst quality ammo on the planet. If the shooter can shoot of course.

Last check, is the barrel possibly loose ? I was sold a 308 semi custom rifle and while I was checking it out, I found that I could rotate the barrel by hand... The barrel nut was tight, but the wrong recoil lug installed with a small diameter pin and the pin had locked up the nut before it could pinch the recoil lug against the action. The only thing tight was the nut against the pin... Could have hurt someone.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.