savage 243 won't shoot i group!!!!!!!

jeff 300

i have a savage 12bvss 243 that i can't get to shoot a good group. i have try a new scope checked the rings,base,stock bolts and any thing else i could think of. i took it out yesterday and the same thing i shot three 3 shot group's at 100. the groups where all about 2 1/2". the best group shot two in the same hole then a flyer 2 1/2" over to the right. what in the heck could be going on. i have tried factory loads and a lot of different reloads with the same groups. the only thing i haven't tryed is a different stock?????????

Jeff I would make sure it is not coppered up. I think they have a 1-9 twist so that shouldn't be a problem shooting any weight bullet. Need more details of what you are shooting bullet powder primer etc. Usually 243 is not picky.

before i shot it this time i cleaned the hell out of the barrel but no change. i have tried every weight from 70 up to 95gr bullets. yesterday i was shooting Berger 95 over 41,41.5,42gr of h4350 with fed210 match primers. with a speed low 2866 high 2930. the 95 Berger's are what i want to shot out of it but i can't get it to shoot them either. I'm about to give up and change barrel here if it doesn't start shooting real soon. i 'm going to change out the stock and see if it a bedding problem. but I'm sick of jacking with it.

before i shot it this time i cleaned the hell out of the barrel but no change. i have tried every weight from 70 up to 95gr bullets. yesterday i was shooting Berger 95 over 41,41.5,42gr of h4350 with fed210 match primers. with a speed low 2866 high 2930. the 95 Berger's are what i want to shot out of it but i can't get it to shoot them either. I'm about to give up and change barrel here if it doesn't start shooting real soon. i 'm going to change out the stock and see if it a bedding problem. but I'm sick of jacking with it.

Jeff 300,

Take the action off the stock, inspect the stock for rubbings, they will show in a darker color, make absolutely sure the barrel is free floated which should be. Any rubbings you find sand them off just enough and when the inspection and sanding is finished and done with, make sure both of your action screws are tighten to 65 in-lb. Your gun is pillar bedded and that's the torque it should have; believe it or not it does make a difference specially if it's not glass bedded. Let us know how it does after that.

This may not be the answer you are looking for but try a 55Nosler in front of 50grains of H414. If it doesnt shoot this load something is wrong!
I have an extra like new SS fluted factory barrel I did not even shoot, just unscewed it and replaced with a 6br barrel as I already have a couple of 243s. Northlander gets $185 for a new one , I'd let it go for $125.
ps
Check to make sure the back tang is freefloated. I goofed on my first Savage bedding job and bedded the back tang=Bad idea it shot god awfull till I removed the bedding under the tang.

Last edited:
Jeff, locating the reason for inaccuracy in a rifle can be a painful and sometimes expensive experience, there are a bucketful of possible causes and many times it will be a combination of things. I have found more often than not scopes, rings and how they are set-up are causing the chaos. I have mounted some high end scopes with high end bases and rings and still have trouble. One brand of rings I use must be lapped before they will work with a USO scope because the rings are a little tight and the scope dont bottom out. You can actually see daylight between the scope and the bottom of the ring body, I always lap the rings then bed the scope in them. Base to ring fit can drive you crazy, I have posted about this problem before, also if you are using adjustable bases I feel sorry for you. If this is not the problem it can be a bad barrel, bad bedding, ammo and who knows what else. To illustrate what you are up against, I just finished chasing out a problem on my pet 308. This rifle was built by a very well known smithy, Mcmillian A3, Rock barrel, Jewell trigger, Badger rings and bases topped with a USO sn3. From day one this rifle would sure enough shoot. I have taken several dollars from my buddies shooting at aspirins at 100 yds on a cold bore. From a good solid rest on a still day it was money in the bank. It shot this way for about a year. One day I was shooting at 800 yds and it was shooting a little high, all the #s in the puter was right so I checked the 100yd zero, IT HAD MOVED, not only that but it kept moving. It would shoot 3 or 4 in one raged hole then jump high left about 1 in and shoot a couple there then go back to the first hole. Needless to say I checked the usual culprits, Loose action screws, scope mounts. It wasnt those so I cast my suspiciuos eye at the 2500.00 USO scope. I happened to have another at the house on another rifle so I switched them out and that didnt help. I thought then it must be a fouling problem so I cleaned and shot for 2 days. This did not help, it was still doing the same thing. By this time I decided the barrel had gave up the ghost even though the round count was way to low for this to happen. I took it out of the stock and there was the prettiest bed job you ever seen except there was a little pool of bore solvent around the front aluminum pillar. The action had a little shinny spot just in front of the action screw. The recoil lug was not bedded on the sides or front. To make a long story short I skin bedded it and bedded the recoil lug all the way around except on the bottom. I shot 10 shots in one ragged hole on the first test after the bed job and I have since added a few more dollars to my mad money from the aspirin shoots. I have shot it alot since the makeover and it hasnt moved. The moral of the story is if you dont have componants to switch around and a ton of experience to draw from you are in for a trip. My suggestion would be to befriend someone that has the experience and resources to help you sort this out. If I can help you I certianly will,there are others here that will do the same. Good Luck.

This is the load I have shot in a few Savage 243 varmint guns and I have always had great results. A 95gr Berger in front of 42.3gr of H4831sc with a Fed 210 in W-W brass. You have to seat these Bergers into the lands.

I had a couple of rifles do this. The culprit in my case was the scope. I have a Simmons scope that will not stay together. The first time it was almost new, so I blamed the rifle, jerked the scope off was about to put it on another rifle when I noticed that it rattled. Simmons repaired the scope for $20.00 handling. When it came back I put it on a different rifle, assuming it was good to go. I blew another couple of boxes trying to zero that rifle when I realized it had to be the scope again. It's still around here somewhere, waiting to go on a "gunshow special". Try a different scope if you have one.

Last edited:
I just came across this old thread searching for answers for the same problem with the same gun and caliber. Was a solution ever found? I have glass bedded the stock and tried a plethora of loads, bullet weights, powders, seating depths and no luck. I always get a couple that look good and then all hell breaks loose and it is a 2 inch or larger group. I finally gave up and bought a new barrel, but have yet to change it out while I wait for a barrel vise to do it right. It is in 308 instead of 243 as I am just too disenchanted with a 243 right now. I was just curious if a barrel swap was the solution or if I just wasted some money on a new one. thanks

Have you checked the crown? I have owned many Savage rifles in different calibers , all without accuracy issues. Over the years I have swapped everything from barrels to triggers, from stocks to scopes and have been able to get back to grouping asap.

Yes. I did check the crown and even re crowned it to be sure it was good. still had the same results. Very frustrating. I am hoping the new barrel resolves the issue.

Yes. I did check the crown and even re crowned it to be sure it was good. still had the same results. Very frustrating. I am hoping the new barrel resolves the issue.

I'd say you did the right thing. Some factory Savage barrels are crap...others are great! From all you did to the rifle, I'd say your rifle has a crap barrel. Swap it out with that new one when you get your barrel vice & get to shooting, I'd wager $ that it'll shoot after the swap!!

Good luck and good gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.