243 Win. group

tomme_boy

I took my Rem 700VLS out today to try some new old loads. I used some 87gr BTHP Hornady bullets that I have not had very good luck with in the past. I worked up a load with them a couple of years ago at 100 yds. Then, the best I could ever get them to group was .95 C-C. Last month I free floated the barrel and bedded the action. Today I shot 3, 4 shot groups that averaged .35 c-c. So I took them out to 300 yds and 500yds. We had a 5-10mph wind coming from the right. Tell me what you guys think.

This is the 300 target.

ScannedPhoto-5.jpg

This is the 500yd target.

ScannedPhoto-4.jpg

Very good groups. What were the actual numbers for them? The 500 yard group looks very good, as well as the 300 yarder. What kinda rifle? Totally stock, or custom barrel, or fully custom?

Very nice, I wish I could get 500 yard groups like that. Did you have sighters, or were those your first attempts as to the appropriate wind dope? I'm quickly learning that accounting for wind is going to be my biggest challenge from here on out as my shooting progresses.

Again, nice shooting,
Carl

[ QUOTE ]
I'm quickly learning that accounting for wind is going to be my biggest challenge from here on out as my shooting progresses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alway will be. If the wind would just quit blowing here in OK, Lerch and I might already have our 1500 yd pds.

Tomme,

Excellent groups!!!

300yd group measured 1.685, the 500yd measured 2.435. The gun is a stock Rem 700 vls that I floated and bedded the action. I lightened the trigger to 3 lbs. This gun never really shot that well untill I floated it. We use a steel plate right next to all of our targets to see where the bullet is going to land. Thats why the groups are 4 shots instead of 5. I was just trying for a group. I have to learn more about how the wind affects the bullets. I don't believe all of the books out there that show wind drifts for bullets. The drop charts are close, but not the drifts. This is my opinon only.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.