Remington 700 xcr 25-06 won't group?!?

Deer mangler

I have a remington 700 xcr in 25-06 that I can't find ammo it likes.the best group I got was maybe 2-2 1/2 @ 100 yards. I don't reload. And I have switched scopes on it just to verify that the scope was not the problem. Anyone have any tips or tricks to help me out? I have kicked around the idea of aborting this rifle and sending it off to be rebarreled, but I can't give in that easy. Please give me some help!

I had a friend have similar issue w/ 700 tactical aac SD. He was about to abort and decided to put a decent stock on the rifle and now it shoots .5" or better and is tested out to 740 yds. He bought a good stock w/aluminium bedding block so no bedding material needed

Dont give up on the factory tube. I have a .338 RUM XCR and use it beyond 1k with the factory barrel.
First make sure the barrel is free floating, then bed the action (or have a smith do it). Adjust the trigger down a bit or have the smith do it.

If all else fails put a new stock on it. If you get a new stock and it has an aluminum bedding block, it will still need glass bedding.

The rifle I spoke of was not glass bedded because Bell&Carson advised against it and he had excellent results. I has a .243 that I put in a H&S stock and did glass bed w/ really good results so its kinda a coin toss. Glass bedding should be done by someone experienced IMO. If you don't take precautions you could hurt accuracy by getting excess bedding material up on the lug or extra material setting up in places it shouldn't be can interfere with your bolt release. Just my two cents

How many rounds down the pipe? I have 2 XCRs' one 270WSM and a 300RUM Both were slow to come together. The 270WSM has a B&C Medalist stock with aluminu bedding block, skim bedded and a trigger job, the 300 a laminate stock with trigger job, each factory barrels. The 300 settled down at about 150 rounds and I have about the same number on the 270 and it is starting to tighten up. Frusterating I know. The 300 will shoot a little under an inch at 200yds 3 rounds. The 270 a little over an inch at 100yds but it keeps getting a little tighter each time I take it out. You may need to get more rounds through it.

I personally have not seen a Rem 700 that did not need free floating of the barrel before it would shoot. I have fooled with them for 30+ years.

I have close to 200 rounds fired. Using multiple factory loads. I've tried lighter weight 90gr all the way up to 120gr.

I guess I better try the new stock idea to start with. Can anyone tell what brand/model is a kickass one to have for varmint/deer hunting. I have few hs precision. I'm willing to try something else. I've been looking at the manners with a detachable mag. But I really don't want to get ahead of myself and dump a lot of money if its not a cute.

Check out stockysstocks.com, they are a sponsor here. I have purchased 3 stocks from them and have been happy with each one. If you want a laminate hit me up I have one for a LA Rem 700 that I'll sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.