Savage 111 or Tikka T3

Like Mike, I didn't read the whole thread, by since I have (had) both I'll chime in.

Savage 111lrh- 338lm, failed to chamber first round, sent it in & was told the rail screw was wrong length- free fix. Then it shot poorly (3" or so at 100) due to barrel contact issues, so I hogged out the barrel channel & reinforced the forend with sections of carbon arrows & epoxy. Then it shot great!

Tikka t3 varmint- 308, shot 208 amax's at 2640 into .6-.7 moa groups out to 430 from day one- never shot anything worse than 1" during load development (I only shoot the 208's in it, tho). I've definitely messed around with it a bunch and thanks to advice & support from Jason & Greg @ tikkaperformance.com, I've been able to do some tinkering on it myself- I did the bolt stop mod & picked up a long mag for it to mag feed the 3.000" 208's. I also love the stock options they have for it!

Bottom line-
I got lucky with the savage; most guys I know who bought them had more trouble than me. They can be sweet rifles, but likely require some work. Even though mine developed into a great shooter, I sold it.

The Tikka, on the other hand, has been accurate & consistent from the first shot. I now shoot it almost as much as my custom shamwow (which cost 5x's as much). It'll be a cold day in hell before I decide to sell the Tikka.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.