Tikka t3 tactical or trg-22?

ullr

First time here, nice site. I have a Tikka t3 super varmint stainless in .22-250, and LOVE IT!! It's a coyote killer here in E. Washington. I'm looking at a sniper gun for really long range shots. Is the SAKO trg 22 that much more of a gun than the T3 tactical? If the SAKO is that much more of a gun, should I spend a bit more and get the TRG 42 in 338 lapua? I have dreams of 1000+yrd shots and have never fired any of these 3 guns. If similar, I'd like the cheaper option, the trg's seem to be over double the price---Ryan

Welcome! nice to see another eastern WA guy here. I have always had a fondness of tikka/sako's. I have never shot any of sakos tacticals but I have read about them a bunch and I know many guys love them. I would say, if a sako in 338 LM is a doable option for you then DO IT! I highly dougbt you will be disapointed. Dont skimp on the quality optics either.

Happy shooting

Jpritt

Hi There and welcome along,
Oh how your brain is going to be doing cart wheels for the next couple of months, with this that and the other but dont worry you will get through it...... NOT!!!:D.

Now the one thing that you will find on this site in many shapes and forms, it will be disguised in many different ways but one resounding word will all ways come out..... QUALITY!! buy the very best you can afford if it takes a little while to save for it, save! you will never go wrong with buying quality gear.

With that said I have a toy box not full but over 50% of my rifles are Tikkas and Sakos, I luv em! but if I was going to spend that kind of money on a Sako TRG-42, dude, build custom!!!

It anit as scary as it sounds if youve never gone down that track before, you will have more satisfaction with the final product, and if you strike up a good raport with your smith any niggly problems will be hopefully sorted and more sound advise given, than the guy that just sold you that rifle of the shelf.

Im not bagging Sakos Im just giving you the same advise I would give anyone else, and you will probably find I wont be the only one on here saying it either.

There are smiths that a forum members and they know their ****, any advise they have is worth moon beams.

Ask heaps of questions here you will get the right answer.

All the best with what ever you decide on, either way its a hell of a ride:D

Regards 300WSMMAD

Thanks for the imput, speaking of customs, is there a custom builder in E. Washington that anyone knows of for a serious long range gun. I'm fairly new to coyote hunting out here on the wheatlands, if there is a hunter that would like to hook up and share knowledge and hit some yotes I have a little acreage and know alot of roads/area out this way, in Ritzville 509-347-6119---Ryan

Look up Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge. He is in the panhandle of ID. He can do "repairs" without involving and FFL transfer.

I got a chance to handle a TRG-22 yesterday. It was everything I hoped for and more, but I would have to agree with a custom build. I would suggest a better caliber for 1000 yrd hunting. 6.5mm caliber may be a good option or look at the 7mm realm. They have a little better bullets without having to go really heavy with recoil and bullet weight. For coyote at that distance, it is my opinion that should be all you need. 308 will get there, but not very flat.

Have fun and shoot straight,
Tank

First time here, nice site. I have a Tikka t3 super varmint stainless in .22-250, and LOVE IT!! It's a coyote killer here in E. Washington. I'm looking at a sniper gun for really long range shots. Is the SAKO trg 22 that much more of a gun than the T3 tactical? If the SAKO is that much more of a gun, should I spend a bit more and get the TRG 42 in 338 lapua? I have dreams of 1000+yrd shots and have never fired any of these 3 guns. If similar, I'd like the cheaper option, the trg's seem to be over double the price---Ryan

In all honesty, in my humble opinion you should save your money and work w/ your varmint rifle for now. If you are just getting into the long range shooting thing now, you will likely change your mind once you really get into it. Both are very very good rifles, and one thing they have over a custom build is resale.

However, I agree with the others saying that you would be able to build a very good rifle for much much less cash. and for caliber selection there are many questions. The following are just a few:

Do you like to hunt varmint? Hunt big game? do you like to handload? do you like the idea of purchasing ammo at the local quicky mart in a pinch?? How well do you handle recoil? How many rounds per year are you going to shoot? How often do you plan on rebarreling?

If any of these questions seem strainge to you than take a step back and just think for a couple months. There is no one "wonder" caliber out there. It is always a compramise, and if anyone tells you that such'n such is the "ultimate" cartidge, then you can bet you BS meater will be whistleing!

The moral of my little story is that you have to figure out what you really want that rifle to do prior to spending a couple grand on the thing.

No offense intended! I wish you the best of luck!
Mark.

In all honesty, in my humble opinion you should save your money and work w/ your varmint rifle for now. If you are just getting into the long range shooting thing now, you will likely change your mind once you really get into it. Both are very very good rifles, and one thing they have over a custom build is resale.

However, I agree with the others saying that you would be able to build a very good rifle for much much less cash. and for caliber selection there are many questions. The following are just a few:

Do you like to hunt varmint? Hunt big game? do you like to handload? do you like the idea of purchasing ammo at the local quicky mart in a pinch?? How well do you handle recoil? How many rounds per year are you going to shoot? How often do you plan on rebarreling?

If any of these questions seem strainge to you than take a step back and just think for a couple months. There is no one "wonder" caliber out there. It is always a compramise, and if anyone tells you that such'n such is the "ultimate" cartidge, then you can bet you BS meater will be whistleing!

The moral of my little story is that you have to figure out what you really want that rifle to do prior to spending a couple grand on the thing.

No offense intended! I wish you the best of luck!
Mark.

Well stated Britz.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.