Savage 111 7mm mag with Bushnell Legend Ultra HD

Bravo 4

I do not own a 7mm RM but recently helped a dear friend who bought a Tikka w/ Vortex scope in that caliber. PhatFireMan mentioned $2 a round so he does not reload. Shooting Ed's 7 mm with three different factory loads I can tell you one of them did not do better than that at 100 yds in his gun. The Hornady Superformance 162gr SST did 1 1/2" @ 285 yds (his zero range) and the Federal did about 2" at 300yds. So PhatFireMan's experience of 2"-3" @ 100yds is not unusual for factory ammo.

Since PhatFireMan was in a hurry he needs to find more range time and a wider variety if factory stuff to try. But his results do not speak to his abilities. The hold over reticles need to be shot with the ammo in question @ 100yds shooting a three shot group for each of the stadia (or circles if it is a Nikon). That takes a tall target at 100yds with the bullseye at the bottom. If you have a Nikon scope you can size the target dot to just fit the hold over circle on the reticle. Nikon lists their size on the website.

If you haven't fired factory ammo in awhile you will be surprised at the variation of accuracy between makers and their loads. That's why I reload.

KB

Yes Sir I agree 100%. That's why I said in a previous post that for all we know his rifle could be grouping that ammo like a shotgun with buckshot at that range, I mean even if he does everything right.
Every year I have several buddies bring their rifle and ammo to me to get a once over and zero. Unless I load for them it is usually factory ammo they shoot. When I'm finished I have to be honest with them about what to expect out of their equipment but it is they who have to be honest about their abilities, put the two together and see what you get. A rifle that groups a certain load into 2" at 100 yards is still a very capable hunting rifle for average distances, but throw in somebody that cannot shoot very well and that is no longer a 2 moa system.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.