Savage 110 in 30.06

vailsf

Picking up this gun for $150.00 next week. Trigger is adjusted (by seller's friend) to near no sear contact (fires upon chambering). I can fix problem but would rather use action for a custom long range hunting/ waste ammo gun. Should I 1. Fix and keep/ sell, or 2. Use as basis for custom gun? If the later, what caliber? Currently shoot a M70 WBY Mag & handload. Would I be better off with a 700 action, Dakota, Nesika, or other to build a custom rifle. Like the Allen mags a LOT! Willing to spend in the 2500-3200 range for rifle. Of course if it can be done for less, so much the better. Will be used for Couse WT/ Muley/ Elk & a lot of target shooting. Thx for helping a newcomer narrow down the options. Btw, will have scope questions later. Familiar w/ Mil-Dot ( retired SF sniper). thx again. John

get a Sharp Shooter supply trigger, New stock, B&C or Duramax, New barrel from SSS. Glass bed it.
good place for savage info
http://www.savageshooters.net/forum/

here is my 300WSM
d5b4252cdddc1969aa32beb81b8f593f.jpg

Presently on a huge Savage/Stevens kick and can say, they work just fine for a custom LR action. In fact, they are easier to play with then anyother action due to their modular design. Just about everything for the same family of rifle swaps.

If the action is sound, fix or replace that trigger. I have tuned one with excellent but heavy for bench shooting, results.

I have turned them into LR match rifles, hunting rifles and also used them out of the box. In general, they shoot extremely well and do exactly the same thing as any 700 action could.

The aftermarket is almost as wide as the 700 so look around and you will enjoy what you see. You should no issue building an accurate rifle for cheap.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Ill definately follow Jerry on this one. use it as a donor action, and build away. If you still have doubts as to whether or not a savage action is competitive with the remchesters I could post a pic of a target that was shot at 1575 with my 300WM 2 weeks back.

Picture023.jpg

3 of the recovered bullets...
Picture028.jpg

and the rifle...
Picture001.jpg

Works out to 1.2MOA.

Ive been accused of calling this a factory rifle, when some say its not, but ill let you guys decide.
The rifle is a Savage 112BVSS. The only "work" done to it was a SSS lug when the barrel was swapped, a sharpshooters trigger, and some light polishing on the detent at the rear of the bolt to smooth opening.
The barrel is a savage factory tube, fluted stainless, 26". This is my second factory 300WM barrel on this rifle. At one point, it had a 243 barrel (also factory savage) fitted to it.

Scope is a millett Gold, 30mm tube, mildot, 8-25X56, held to a ken farrell 20moa one piece base with millett angle loc(weaver style) rings.
A bsquare level hangs off one side.
Stock has been modified by adding a pachmayr decellaerator shotgun pad, and by inletting a anschutz rail into the forend so I can use my handstop from my 3P competition. Really comes in handy for shooting prone, and solidifying a position with a bipod. Bipod is of course a harris, just the plane jane, non swiveling, non leveling with the twist loc legs.

Once this cold snap is over... and I use that term loosely, ive got some more ready to fly. Oh, and Bill, If you and Lerch ever need some ground to throw bullets over, let me know, my range is always open... unless the cattle are grazing through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.