sako 30-378? trg?

POP,

I have 6 of them meaning the Sako TRG-S in 338 WM,2 338 Lapua's, 30-378 wby,338-378 wby and 30-416 rigby rifles and have nothing negative to say about them other than I wish they had alot more accessories available. I just found out from a local smith that McMillian makes the bottom metal (which was a huge limiting factor) and inlets for tihs action as well so Im thinking of building me one like he has.

Goodluck on your rifle!

Wow great.
Do they have the tendacy to crack the stock at the tang?
Almost 80-90% of the people I talked to said yes.
587162.gif

POP,

My son and I along with a friend have a total of 12 of these rifles and we have not experienced what you asked about meaning the stock cracking at the tang area. We may be lucky though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Again as I mentioned McMillan inlets for this action and has the bottom metal as well so you could go that route if the stock cracking is of a concern to you.

Thanx for the input.

Does anyone know what rings the trgs' take? Are they the regular sako 75 rings or a different setup?

Got two Sako Trg-S, a 30-378 and a 338 lapua. Used sako optilock mounts and rings on both. The 30-378 has been on two elk hunts now, without a problem with the mounts. One was a horseback hunt.
The 30-378 has a hair line crack on top of the tang. Kinda think that when the receiver was bedded, that area was not properly releived. This was last year, repaired it and its held up to date.
Also have a Sako AV in 375 H&H, again with the optilock mounts. This has survived two trips to AK. Checking my zero upon my return, she was right there.
Plus another AV in 416 Rem, just in case that trip to Africa becomes a reality.
I consider purchasing these Sakos to be one of my better fiream investments.

It seems that hairline crack is almost a given on these.....
really debating if a buy is worth it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thinking about this stock issue, I also had a TRG-S in a 7.82 Warbird that had a crack near the front swivel stud.
Was shooting my 338 Lapua yesterday, previous owner did some stippling on the stock at the forend and grip, did a decent job. Got to wondering if the sole purpose was to improve the grip or perhaps do a cover up.
Oh well, they are shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.