Sako TRG-S Stock Fit?

Duffy

Can someone comment on the TRG-S stock?

I've found a TRG-S at a reasonable price, but as I don't live in the seller's state, I can't handle it to determine how well the stock fits.

I'm small, 5-feet 6-inches, 160 pounds, and have small hands. (No, I don't get many spontaneous offers for hot dates).

It's hard to determine if the stock is well designed. Is it nimble, or more like a benchrest affair with beavertail forend? For that matter is it like a canoe paddle or a hod of bricks?

The caliber is .338 Lapua. Does it distribute recoil well or does it accentuate the impulse?

I've got a 300 WM built on a TRG-S action in the standard stock.

The stock is a sporter style, slim fore-end, comfortable and fairly slim grip. LOP on mine is almost 14" if I recall, but mine has a few spacers installed. I figure its around 13.75" "as it comes". I like a "longish stock" and I ordered the replacement at 14.25".

I'm 6'1" tall and the stock fits pretty well. I could do with a higher comb though, but I tend to find all standard sporters are like that for me.

If you look on McM's website you'll see that they have a std. TRG-S pattern - that's pretty much how it looks. A few weeks back they also had a special on one of those stocks quite a bit cheaper than you would pay if you ordered it.

Mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a photograph of mine in the factory stock alongside a Rem 700 BDL.

I find the stock on the TRG-S is very flexible. The forend can be pushed against the barrel with 2 fingers and off a bipod the weight of my (#5 contour 26") barrel starts to close up the free float close to the receiver. It shoots totally different and way better for me rested on a varmint bag under the receiver.

I've already received a new stock which I haven't yet fitted. If you buy a new stock you need to order bottom metal as the factory stock has it molded in.

In short - I think it's a pretty nice sporter style stock, but way too flexible. I'm not sure how the big stuff shoots out of those std. stocks.

Wim

The one I have has 13.75" pull and seems to fit ok. I am about 5' 9" and average build. I agree with the everything else on the first response. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.